Help build the Netlify platform that powers millions of sites for over 800,000 companies and developers. Netlify is unique because we seamlessly combine a CI/CD workflow with a global deployment environment that spans every major cloud provider. Creating an easy experience for our customers (push to Git and your site is live!) offers tremendous challenges and opportunities for anyone interested in modern, automated infrastructure. Here you can work on advanced platform technologies at massive scale in an automation first, small-team environment.
We recently raised $53M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. This round was led by the EQT Ventures with participation from existing investors Andreessen Horowitz & Kleiner Perkins. This brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $97M to date. Other past investors include Bloomberg Beta, Designer Fund, and Tank Hill Ventures, as well as the founders of Figma, GitHub, Slack and Yelp.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~48% woman or non-binary, and are composed of about half as many nationalities as we are team members.
About the role:
The mission of our Platform Engineers is to support millions of customer sites and the supporting features they leverage. The platform is at the core of Netlify, so you'll be developing software that powers the lifecycle of a web request, enables developers to interact with the edge, and strives for better availability and higher throughput. This includes functionality like Edge Lambda invocation, caching & invalidation, request rules, prerendering, and logging aggregation. The platform is built on top of 6 different cloud providers and is truly global, supporting constant traffic from all over the world.
We're looking for team members with a strong background or interest in large scale systems with high throughput. Our team works remotely across North America and European timezones. The team reports to the Director of Infrastructure and works closely with the CTO.
Some of the challenges you’ll be working on:
- Scaling our infrastructure to handle hundreds of thousands of request per second.
- Increasing observability, reliability, and monitoring of all Netlify’s systems.
- Improving the efficiency of Netlify’s CDN and edge cache.
- Building reliable microservices that are deployed into our Kubernetes cluster.
- Designing and implement globally distributed, latency-sensitive, high throughput services.
- Architecting scalable solutions to accommodate rapid user growth.
Your first couple of months might include:
- Revamping the way our edge logic works and how it resolves content.
- Building a system to deliver insights about traffic, function invocations, and other edge visibility issues.
- Expanding our edge logic, further increasing the performance and reliability.
- Developing automated abuse prevention tooling and building cutting edge features to empower developers.
- Iterating on the system to provide better uptime and throughput while working across a diverse set of languages (Go, Rust, and C++).
To be effective in this role, you’ll benefit from experience in:
- Working on a high throughput system, with demanding availability and throughput challenges.
- Compiled programming languages (Go, C++, Rust). Our main language is Go, but we also have projects that the Platform team works on in Rust, C++, and Ruby.
- Systems performance and analysis.
- Web and CDN technologies.
- Internet standards like HTTP, DNS, and TLS.
- Linux containers. We use Docker and Kubernetes.
- Provisioning and managing cloud infrastructure.
- Being part of a weekly on-call rotation.
- Working with a globally distributed team
Competencies that we value in candidates:
- You’re able to design and implement fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- You can focus on key priorities and pragmatic solutions.
- You can adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- You value asynchronous communication and are comfortable working with a globally distributed team.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include: A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify. A resume or short listing of job history. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we’ll get back to you about the next steps.