Do you want to work for two of the most iconic franchises in all of sports? Come to NESN and work with the most talented broadcasting teams in the country.
NESN is seeking an analytical and creative Head of Audience Development & Content Strategy. Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, this individual will be a key pillar in the evolution and execution of an audience-driven content strategy. Working with cross-functional teams, the ideal candidate is passionate about digital video, sports, and media more broadly. As a content leader, the individual would bring a strategic approach to which audiences we pursue, which content we develop for them, and how we maximize engagement across platforms.
This individual will create and execute against a long-term content strategy that drives video and editorial audience engagement across NESN’s digital properties (web, mobile, connected TV). The ideal candidate is creative and innovative while structured and analytical.
- Formulate a top-down digital content and programming strategy and roadmap, including long-term investments spanning formats, mediums, and audiences
- Conceptualize, develop, and ensure progress against the content roadmap, breaking down the strategy into objectives, initiatives, and projects
- Develop a framework for prioritizing different content offerings, generating alignment on investments and trade-offs
- Lead cross-functional internal & external forums for navigating key decisions related to content investments
- Execute against content investment and programming strategy across digital platforms, working with senior leaders, production, finance, marketing, and other teams
- Lead quarterly content strategy business review, ensuring that our strategy is in line with our goals and superserving our audiences
- Work closely with sales organization to maximize sponsorship value and direct/indirect sold ad inventory
- Source, develop, and own relationship with partners for accelerating the execution of the content strategy
- Work with linear production & programming team to maximize impact of linear and digital content, finding opportunities to cross-pollinate
- Establish content performance KPIs across digital platforms; forecast, monitor, and report on performance, understanding sources of variance
- Identify deep, actionable insights into the content preferences, behavior and needs of our customers
- Stay abreast of traffic sources, their changing preferences/algorithms, and the implications on our content roadmap and audience development efforts
- Lead analytical projects to develop guidelines for programming/audience strategy (e.g., volume and mix of programming needed for key customer cohorts, format of content)
- Build analytical models to identify content portfolio needs and inform programming decisions to optimize viewer acquisition, retention, and engagement
- Evolve policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve overall content operations and quality
- BA/BS in a quantitative or creative field; Graduate degree a plus
- 7+ years experience in digital content strategy, content production, content acquisitions, or a related discipline at a media and/or tech company
- 3+ years experience in a highly analytical role, including 2+ years in DTC streaming, digital media, subscription-based tech, strategy/business development, management consulting, or investment banking
- Excellent communication, storytelling, and presentation skills with the ability to build materials and present findings effectively at the executive management level
- Proven track record of building, leading, and developing teams in a high-growth organization
- Strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to operate independently, manage upwards expectations, and confidently deliver results in an efficient and effective manner
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, adapt to changing priorities, and build trust & partnership across internal and external teams
- An aptitude for experimentation, iterating, risk taking, and executing quickly
- A passion for content, and foundational knowledge of the sports, TV, editorial, and/or streaming landscapes
- Experience managing multiple projects and executing across a quickly evolving product
- Superior strategic problem solving and analytical skills including talent for developing hypotheses, drawing key insights and developing clear recommendations
- Enthusiasm and curiosity for solving problems and answering challenging questions, while maintaining superior attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong understanding of audience development data for the purposes of informing content decisions; insight into media viewing and engagement habits and patterns
- Understanding of total media usage, including established and emerging platforms
- Demonstrated track record of generating maximum viewership across multiple platforms
- Experience using SEO, social, and other external platforms to drive on-platform viewership
- Must embrace the NESN Core Values: People, Customer Focus, Adaptability, Teamwork, Diversity, Integrity, Accountability, Passion, Social Responsibility
NESN requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, subject to applicable legal requirements.
Who We Are
NESN (New England Sports Network) is owned by the Boston Red Sox and Boston Bruins, and delivered to over 4 million homes throughout the six-state New England region and nationally as NESN National. The definitive source for New England sports programming, NESN consistently has been one of the top-rated regional sports networks in the country, with a reputation for innovative and award-winning production of sports events and specials.
Our professional environment is passionate, adaptable, creative, filled with aspiring individuals who are driven to grow with our company. Our core values are at the heart of who we are. We have a spontaneous and vibrant culture, and we truly believe in team spirit and collaboration.
NESN is proud to be a diverse and inclusive employer. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunities for all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, genetic information, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. Minorities, Women, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans are especially encouraged to apply.