Do you want to work for two of the most iconic franchises in all of sports? Are you enthusiastic about being creative to help your clients achieve their goals? This is the opportunity of a lifetime. Come to NESN and work with the most talented broadcasting teams in the country.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice President (VP) of Programming and Production is an innovative and passionate leader that is part of a dynamic executive team. This person must have a vision of what NESN can become and the ability to set the goals, formulate strategy and lead the team that will bring them to fruition. This leader will have the opportunity to clearly articulate their programming vision and turn it into reality. This position needs an individual who is a hybrid creative and business person; they must have vision, be a strategic thinker and have the mind-set of continuous improvement and creation. This position is charged with leveraging the NESN brand and taking it to the next level by breaking it out of the pack in an ever cluttered marketplace. This VP is responsible for leading, overseeing and managing NESN’s production and programming teams.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop strategies and tactics that will improve the overall programming experience for our viewers in addition to creating new programming to enhance the value of the network
- Provide the strategic vision that permeates all aspects of programming including production, development, acquisitions, scheduling and research
- Lead and manage the development, production and scheduling of all NESN and NESN National programming including live sporting events, news programs, magazine shows, series, and specials
- Lead production innovation in the areas of emerging trends such as sports betting, producing content for multi-platform distribution (i.e. linear and digital), 4K and DTC
- Cultivate an entrepreneurial, results-oriented organization that attracts and challenges top talent, and allows it to flourish in an open, direct and team-oriented atmosphere
- Create a positive, success-oriented environment, and serve as a leader that promotes creativity, innovation, improvement and the desire to be the best
- Manage the performance and support the career development of a team of professionals to include annual appraisals and goals, employee relations, and skill and professional development. Mentor staff to develop well-rounded skill sets that support the current and future needs of the department and organization.
- Foster a high performance environment supporting NESN’s operating values of integrity, respect for the individual, embracing diversity, excellence in programming, and producing superior results for ownership
- Optimize ratings by leveraging programming inventory, scheduling and programming strategies
- Ability to develop a programming strategy for the network’s overflow channel, NESNPlus, foster a culture and mindset of continuous improvement including evaluating and improving current and developing new products
- Evaluate and negotiate contracts and sustain strategic partnerships with rights-holders, on-air talent, talent agencies, outside producers and other media entities
- Collaborate with marketing, advertising sales, distribution and other key functional areas identifying important projects to be developed or commissioned that will deliver programming relevant to all constituencies and optimizes ratings
- Develop operating plans to achieve established goals, and manage day-to-day operations to reach such goals
- Monitor and thoroughly understand competitive trends, and embrace new technologies to identify and create new revenue opportunities.
- As part of the executive team, lead and make key contributions to organizational-wide initiatives
We are looking for candidates who have the following skills and experience:
- Television executive with strong business sensibility and a passion for producing great programming. Must have previous experience managing and leading production and program development; experience with managing programming and production components of branding and promotions of a commercial television network.
- Experience with live programming is a must; success in building other day-parts, identifying strong secondary programming, and game or event production is preferred.
- Proven track record of leading, managing, hiring, developing, mentoring, and motivating strong teams through growth, adversity, and change
- Proven track record of recruiting, developing and coaching on-air talent that will positively reflect on the brand.
- Problem solver and strategist who knows how to operate and manage all the moving parts of a programming and production organization – research, development, acquisitions, production, scheduling – to “produce” a high-quality, buzz-worthy, and strategically branded television network
- Excellent track record of developing clever and unique programs that have achieved sustained ratings success
- Strong creative and strategic skills with the proven ability to function tactically with great detail within the production/post-production process
- Proven ability to control production budgets and costs and work within a budget
- Solid understanding of and ability to communicate what makes compelling programming and re-purpose content on multiple platforms
- A genuinely collaborative executive with excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills who isn’t afraid to “roll up your sleeves” and “get in the trenches”
- Familiar and current with technical programming and production trends, and their power in creating a high-quality, unique products
Who We Are
NESN (New England Sports Network) is owned by the Boston Red Sox and Boston Bruins, and delivered to over 4 million homes throughout the six-state New England region and nationally as NESN National. The definitive source for New England sports programming, NESN consistently has been one of the top-rated regional sports networks in the country, with a reputation for innovative and award-winning production of sports events and specials.
Our professional environment is passionate, adaptable, creative, filled with aspiring individuals who are driven to grow with our company. Our core values are at the heart of who we are. We have a spontaneous and vibrant culture, and we truly believe in team spirit and collaboration.
NESN is proud to be a diverse and inclusive employer. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunities for all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, genetic information, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. Minorities, Women, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans are especially encouraged to apply.