We’re looking for a Data Engineer to build data pipelines, design data warehouses, and support our Data Science team across our web-first real estate software platforms, neighborhoods.com and 55places.com. In this role you’ll be designing pipelines and data stores to manage terabytes of real estate data and clickstream data. This role will give you the opportunity to define and refine the overall data strategy for a growing tech company.
Neighborhoods.com is the first online real estate resource to put the neighborhood at the center of the home search. The platform invites visitors to imagine their life in a new area by providing a local’s perspective, including detailed descriptions and resident reviews of schools, amenities, and the surrounding community. With up-to-date listings, the company offers aspiring homeowners accurate and reliable information about market changes and new homes for sale. Neighborhoods.com and its network of real estate agents are licensed and knowledgeable experts that guide users through every step of the homebuying process—from the initial search to the closing table.
What you’ll be doing as our Data Engineer:
- Designing, building and maintaining our data pipelines and data warehouses for business intelligence, analytics, reporting solutions, and user-facing features.
- Playing a crucial role in shaping the underlying technology environment for our Data Science team
- Developing ETL ecosystem tools using tools like Elasticsearch, Spark, Python, R, Redis, MySQL, Amazon S3, and PostgreSQL
- Helping to define data science solutions to solve complex problems around better understanding our users and our market
- Assisting the overall engineering team with database design and data flows
- Developing engineering best practices, documentation and process flows that facilitate collaboration and knowledge transfer
We think you could be really successful if you:
- Want to lead the way in identifying, scoping, building and deploying new data solutions (pipelines, warehousing and other infrastructure).
- Are self-motivated and curious, with the desire to initiate and own projects from start to finish.
- Are a team player and enjoy collaborating across teams to develop solutions that are the best fit for the products and your peers
- Love the challenge of managing high volumes of data
Basic requirements to do the job:
- 2-5 years of experience working as a Data Engineer or Data Scientist
- Expert-level understanding of SQL-based database design and usage
- Expert-level proficiency in at least one programming language
- Professional experience in high-volume ETL systems.
- Effective communication with engineering peers, data scientists, project managers and business stakeholders.
Bonus Points if you have:
- An advanced degree in Computer Science, Analytics or a related field
- Hands-on experience building data solutions in at least one public cloud environment. We use AWS.
- Experience using Python or R in a data science/analytics role
- Familiarity processing and analyzing high-volume clickstream data
- Experience with a Business Intelligence tool like Tableau, Qlik, or Amazon QuickSight.
- The standards: insurance, 401k with match, flexible PTO, and casual dress code
- Paid parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter program
- West Loop neighborhood (easy commute and lots of food options)
- Volunteer and charity opportunities
- Cold-brew coffee on tap
- Transparent and approachable leadership and management
- Help make a difference in the lives of homeowners across the country
Neighborhoods.com is an equal opportunity employer, of people from all different backgrounds, ethnicities, races, colors, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, and ages. We strive to foster an inclusive environment, that is comfortable for everyone. We will not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.