NEAR Protocol is a developer-first blockchain that emphasizes convenience and speed of development on NEAR platform while minimizing the entrance barrier for developers coming from the blockchain ecosystem, as well as regular web and mobile development space. Given our strong focus on the developer experience, this position will oversee an ever-expanding scope, as we will try to capture major programming languages through our SDKs, as well as popular integrations in blockchain, web development, and mobile development ecosystems. We do it while maintaining the integrity of the developer and user experience and being mindful of the long-term maintenance costs.
You will oversee our Developer Platform Tools team. Developer Platform at NEAR encompasses developer tooling and products required to build, test, deploy, and maintain an application on the NEAR blockchain platform. The primary focus of the Developer Platform team will be building our Developer Console product. This product includes an integrated developer environment as well as SDKs, APIs, developer-facing libraries, CLI-based tools, and documentation.
This position requires communication with a large number of leaders of other NEAR teams, including engineering, product, developer relations, marketing, developer community, etc. Your responsibilities will include:
- Working with internal engineers at NEAR and external contributors on improving the developer experience for the applications built on NEAR;
- Manage the sprint-by-sprint operations, goals and deliverables for the platform tools team;
- Build a great team ensuring every role/hire reflects its goals;
- Ability to manage a multi-discipline engineering team;
- Familiarity with agile/scrum methodologies and the ability to adapt those principles to build a bespoke development process;
- Focus on improving developer and user experience;
- Experience and interest in building and documenting developer-facing tools
- Preferably, knowledge of Rust or alternatively C++ or Swift
- You should be able to work across other teams like Engineering, Legal, Compliance, Marketing with a shared sense of purpose. No room for ego here. People should want to work with you. Interpersonal skills are a must;
- You should be a great communicator and remain calm under pressure during any potential incidents or juggling multiple priorities. You should run toward problems. Calm, practical, self-aware, and self-confident approach to assessing and interacting with people;
Nice to Have
- Deep technical skills. Extensive knowledge of blockchain ecosystem, its development tools, and practices;
- Experience building full-stack traditional web applications in addition to Web3 blockchain applications.
About NEAR and the NEAR Collective
NEAR's purpose is to enable community-driven innovation to benefit people around the world and its mission is to drive the adoption of Open Technologies. The NEAR platform provides a decentralized application platform that is secure enough to manage high value assets like money or identity and performant enough to make them useful for everyday people, putting the power of Open Finance and the Open Web in their hands.
The NEAR platform, NEAR Protocol, and associated tooling are being built by the NEAR Collective, a collection of the best engineers in the world who work across teams, companies and countries similar to other large scale open-source projects. Core contributors include a couple of 2-time ICPC world champions, 4 gold medalists, a Latin American champion and multiple other competitive programming finalists.
About the NEAR Foundation
The NEAR Foundation is a nonprofit, non-beneficiary foundation based in Switzerland which supports community-driven innovation and the Open Web with a specific focus on the NEAR platform. The Foundation distributes grant funding into the NEAR ecosystem, coordinates governance among participants, educates people about the protocol and ensures that relationships among the community members are as strong and sustainable as the apps they build. It seeks to combine the inclusive care of a community-driven NGO with the at-scale effectiveness of a Silicon Valley startup.