We’re building the baseline infrastructure of the new web but to be successful we need to cultivate an ecosystem of great applications. This means actively supporting the early developers and entrepreneurs who want to build on the protocol. And, of course, building new example applications, tooling and infrastructure they need to get started and grow.
You’ll be a good fit for this role if you have a wide-ranging full-stack skillset and a love of working with other developers. Some days will require problem solving and helping these developers build great apps while other days will involve creating new applications and tooling from scratch internally.
To be successful, you will need to be comfortable working quickly at the web/mobile application layer down to the blockchain layer to help troubleshoot and smooth out the developer experience for our partner developers. This requires interacting with the scripting and markup that defines the apps, the TypeScript/AssemblyScript and Rust APIs for creating smart contracts and a bit of Rust to understand what’s going on at the blockchain layer. Perhaps most importantly, you’ll need to be comfortable communicating frequently with both our internal teams and external developers.
You’ll work closely with multiple different teams within Near -- Engineering, Developer Relations, Biz Dev and Community. Because you see so much of the ecosystem in this role, it’s a great launching pad for going deeper in many possible directions, whether that means building your own applications, hacking on the core protocol or even joining one of the other teams who are building on top of the NEAR Platform.
While energy and enthusiasm are key, this is a position for **well-experienced developers only**. We don’t care what certifications you have or even if you went to school… but you absolutely need to be able to ship great code.
- 5+ years building production-level applications and experiences in rapid iteration, high-quality environments like top tier startups and consultancies.
- Demonstrated experience writing well-structured, clean, maintainable code
- Experience and interest in building and documenting developer-facing tools, APIs, SDKs
- Knowledge of Rust or alternatively C++ or Swift
- Open source contributions and previous or continued involvement in open source communities
- Familiarity with Ethereum development and related technologies (web3.js, ethers.js, etc)
- Comfort operating across the full stack including front end web, mobile, back end, smart contracts and dev ops.
- Strong communication and remote friendly working skills
- Previously worked with end-users to improve their experience and success on a platform - this role will have a Partner Engineer component on an as-needed basis.
- Work with open source community by collaborating with external contributors on our codebase, creating and participating in events, facilitating information exchange between our community and other open source communities
About NEAR and the NEAR Collective
NEAR's mission is to enable community-driven innovation to benefit people around the world. The NEAR platform provides a decentralized application platform that is secure enough to manage high value assets like money or identity and performant enough to make them useful for everyday people, putting the power of Open Finance and the Open Web in their hands.
The NEAR platform, NEAR Protocol and associated tooling are being built by the NEAR Collective, a collection of the best engineers in the world who work across teams, companies and countries similar to other large scale open source projects. Core contributors include a couple of 2-time ICPC world champions, 2 gold medalists, a Latin American champion and multiple other competitive programming finalists.
Working at NEAR
Roles are posted to this portal on behalf of the companies that make up the NEAR Collective and are typically located anywhere in the world because most of the companies are fully remote. Some hubs are located in Switzerland, Germany, Russia, the US and China. Regardless of where you work, this is a high performance culture that values ownership, execution and professionalism but pairs it with curiosity and experimentation. The vision is big but the right team is behind it.