OWC’s Director of Investments will be expected to source a growing number of investment opportunities and formulate proactive investment theses for OWC Fund. This position will lead all facets of analysis and assessment of potential investments and portfolio management activities, and assist in recruiting, training, and mentoring the investment team.
What You’ll Do
- Lead and oversee all stages of investment transaction-related efforts including financial modeling and analysis, industry research, negotiation of investment terms, valuation analyses and liquidity events.
- Play an active role in all due diligence efforts (reviewing pitch decks, benchmarking KPIs, analyzing unit economics, sizing and mapping and competitive landscape analyses etc.)
- Develop and prepare investment materials for the Investment Committee that outline the strategic benefits of investment, investment terms, and other relevant information for potential investments.
Portfolio Management & Support:
- Monitor and evaluate portfolio positions, organizational changes, performance, and risks
- Partner with investment companies on a range of business activities to support their mission and objectives with an eye on long term OWC interests
Operations & Reporting:
- Track, validate, and manage all capital activity (cash flows, capital calls, distributions, trade activity, and manager redemptions) related to the investment activities
- Assist in developing new reports, adding new components to track new items of interest to the board
- Create processes and infrastructures to ensure long-term scalability of OWC’s investment process.
- Cultivate relationships with industry VCs and other ecosystem partners to help identify and source investment opportunities
- Represent OWC at conferences and meetings, presentations and participate in panel discussions regarding building and scaling startup companies.
- Stay abreast of market conditions and developments that may affect OWC investment holdings and strategies
- Lead discovery and analysis of emerging themes to guide thesis development and articulation
- 6+ years excelling at startups / finance with a previous direct investing or data-driven experience at a leading private equity, venture capital, or other investment fund
- Demonstrable track record of making investment decisions based on qualitative and quantitative analysis and fundamental research - experience building operating models from scratch, writing investment memos, diligencing teams or stakeholders, and participating in investment committees
- Strong cognitive reasoning and analysis skills with an ability to translate complex ideas and numbers into common sense insights; mastery of effectively communicating those insights through the right mediums - presentations, memos, spreadsheets, white boards, etc.
- Low-ego, positive, and curious personality coupled with unwavering integrity, morality, and accountability
- Ability to supervise, mentor, manage and develop talent
Nice to Haves:
- Native understanding of blockchain technology and experience reviewing white papers or crypto projects
- Actively participate in blockchain/cryptocurrencies communities
About NEAR & OWC
NEAR’s mission is to enable community-driven innovation to benefit people around the world. The NEAR blockchain is secure enough to manage high value assets like money or identity and performant enough to make them useful for everyday people, putting the power of Open Finance and the Open Web in their hands. NEAR protocol is built by the best engineers in the world who work across teams, companies and countries similar to other large scale open source projects. Core contributors include a couple of 2-time ICPC world champions, 2 gold medalists, a Latin American champion and multiple other competitive programming finalists.
Open Web Collective (OWC) is an early-stage blockchain venture fund and seed accelerator. OWC aims to reimagine how the next wave of applications will be built using open technologies.
OWC’s mission is to support founders building the open web. Our founders are promising pre-seed and seed-stage startups from around the globe. They work with leading corporate partners and investors such as IDEO, Deloitte, and WEF to validate/invalidate business ideas and decisions, build products, define and grow KPIs, develop product-market fit, and fundraise to push blockchain forward.