The NEAR Organization is unlike anything else out there. NEAR Protocol is a fully decentralized, community-controlled layer-one blockchain protocol and smart contract platform. Our approach is to focus on the developer and user experience. By focusing on accessibility and usability, it can become just as easy to develop a decentralized application on a blockchain as it is to build any other kind of application on today’s internet––and just as easy to use. The NEAR Organization's mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to open technologies by growing and enabling a community of developers and creators.
You will be leading the formation of a new security division on a cutting-edge blockchain technology platform and fostering the security culture. This division will perform security audits of applications and various layers of the blockchain technology for NEAR, NEAR’s partners, and the general blockchain community. Application Security division will also build tools necessary to perform the audits and evangelize safe standards and best practices. NEAR also provides a unique opportunity to be at the forefront of the innovation of asynchronous contracts in highly-scalable systems.
Candidates should have a strong understanding of security primitives and be up-to-date with current exploits. Awareness of the current DeFi landscape is a big plus, and experience with exploitation techniques of financial protocols is a valued skill. You should also understand how EVM works and the idiosyncrasies which can lead to vulnerabilities. You will have the opportunity to work with and learn from some of the brightest minds in the space and help shape our approach to hacking, threat modeling, scanning, auditing, designing, and enhancing smart contracts' security across the board.
This position requires communication directly with NEAR executives and founders. You will be required to be the ultimate owner of this division, which includes managing technical direction, operations, business development, hiring, and people management. Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Building a great team ensuring every role/hire reflects its goals;
- Work with the internal engineering teams at NEAR and external partners on improving the security of the applications built on NEAR;
- Develop and evangelize new security standards and best practices;
- Coordinate security audits of the contracts, applications, and various integrations;
- Prepare regular reporting for the NEAR Foundation
- Design, review, and improve business processes
- Coordinate with external service providers;
- Deep technical skills, extensive knowledge of smart contract auditing and security research;
- Stellar attention to detail;
- Expertise in hiring and managing a team of security or blockchain specialists;
- You should be able to work across other teams like Engineering, Legal, Compliance, Marketing with a shared sense of purpose. No room for ego here. People should want to work with you. Interpersonal skills are a must;
- You should be a great communicator and remain calm under pressure during any potential incidents or juggling multiple priorities. You should run toward problems. Calm, practical, self-aware and self-confident approach to assessing and interacting with people.
- Focus on improving real-world security, not compliance.
About NEAR and the NEAR Collective
NEAR's purpose is to enable community-driven innovation to benefit people around the world and its mission is to drive the adoption of Open Technologies. The NEAR platform provides a decentralized application platform that is secure enough to manage high value assets like money or identity and performant enough to make them useful for everyday people, putting the power of Open Finance and the Open Web in their hands.
The NEAR platform, NEAR Protocol, and associated tooling are being built by the NEAR Collective, a collection of the best engineers in the world who work across teams, companies and countries similar to other large scale open-source projects. Core contributors include a couple of 2-time ICPC world champions, 4 gold medalists, a Latin American champion and multiple other competitive programming finalists.
About the NEAR Foundation
The NEAR Foundation is a nonprofit, non-beneficiary foundation based in Switzerland which supports community-driven innovation and the Open Web with a specific focus on the NEAR platform. The Foundation distributes grant funding into the NEAR ecosystem, coordinates governance among participants, educates people about the protocol and ensures that relationships among the community members are as strong and sustainable as the apps they build. It seeks to combine the inclusive care of a community-driven NGO with the at-scale effectiveness of a Silicon Valley startup.