The NEAR project is unlike anything else out there -- it combines the collaborative community of an open-source project with aspects of traditional developer platforms like Amazon's AWS. In this role, you will not just help the NEAR Foundation to build its education team, but you will be the architect of a global movement to help developers take their first few steps towards "Aha!" using blockchain technology. This combines the scrappy culture of a startup and the impact of a large enterprise or a cultural movement.
About NEAR and the NEAR Collective
NEAR's purpose is to enable community-driven innovation to benefit people around the world and its mission is to drive the adoption of Open Technologies. The NEAR platform provides a decentralized application platform that is secure enough to manage high value assets like money or identity and performant enough to make them useful for everyday people, putting the power of Open Finance and the Open Web in their hands.
The NEAR platform, NEAR Protocol, and associated tooling are being built by the NEAR Collective, a collection of the best builders in the world who work across teams, companies and countries similar to other large scale open source projects. Core contributors include a couple of 2-time ICPC world champions, 4 gold medalists, a Latin American champion, a Google Code Jam champion and many other competitive programming finalists.
About the NEAR Foundation
The NEAR Foundation is a nonprofit, non-beneficiary foundation based in Switzerland which supports community-driven innovation and the Open Web with a specific focus on the NEAR platform. The Foundation distributes grant funding into the NEAR ecosystem, coordinates governance among participants, educates people about the protocol and ensures that relationships among the community members are as strong and sustainable as the apps they build. It seeks to combine the inclusive care of a community-driven NGO with the at-scale effectiveness of a Silicon Valley startup.
As the NEAR Foundation's Head of Education, you will be the architect of an effort to help hundreds of thousands of developers build great applications using one of the most impactful new technologies since the original Internet. This effort spans both the narrow aspects of onboarding core contributors to this open source ecosystem and the broad aspects of using excellent, accessible materials to reach builders in all corners of the world.
Some specific programs will live within the Foundation and others will be driven by participants from across the ecosystem so you’ll need to think creatively and draw upon a wide range of channels and stakeholders to help out. You will build and manage the NF education team and work with Education Guilds and embedded educators within outside teams as well.
Your mandate is large and there are considerable resources at your disposal. As the Head of Education, you are ultimately responsible for crafting and delivering the outcomes of all of these programs to increase contribution to and usage of the NEAR platform.
To be successful, you’ll need to be a leader and a player-coach who can operate at the executive level, effectively as a founder and CEO of this unit within the NEAR Foundation. You’ll need to be organized and tactical, employing strong strategic thinking and a deep understanding of NEAR’s ecosystem. You should have demonstrated success in leading or building similar broad technical education efforts, for example at startups or open source projects offering developer-first products which require heavy community engagement and education programs in the past. You should also be familiar with the zeitgeist of the crypto space and all the varied opportunities it uniquely provides to deliver and incentivize education.
- Architect and implement a multi-pronged educational effort that spans training, certification, onboarding, docs, and broad scale awareness building through content for core contributors, partners and ecosystem-wide developers.
- Build out the team and best practices to manage and track OKRs & KPIs related to these programs, both internally and through coordination with external teams and funding mechanisms.
- 100,000 developers have deployed an application on NEAR by the end of 2022.
This is a senior-level position which requires someone who combines the experience of an in-the-trenches educator with the perspective of a leader who can build and manage multiple educational teams. Specifically:
- Hands-on technical education experience is required and blockchain experience is strongly preferred
- 10+ years of work experience in, and ultimately leading, technical education efforts at top tier businesses and/or projects. This can include founding successful startups of your own (we love founder DNA). You have built, led and managed teams of your own and worked within top quality leadership teams before.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively while applying sound business judgment and quantitative analytics
- Excellent oral and written skills to communicate complex issues and influence others internally and externally. Also that rare combination of ability to communicate across many stakeholders, think strategically about crafting the program but also shepherd processes to their completion.
This is a full-time, remote position with the NEAR Foundation which is located in Switzerland. You should be located in or comfortable traveling to Switzerland. Candidates are eligible for relocation assistance to Switzerland. EU and Swiss citizens able to reside in Switzerland or Berlin, Germany will be prioritized but the position is open globally.