At NEAR, we're a small and early design team with a range of experience both in and out of blockchain. As generalists, we wear many hats, and collaborate with teams across our organization to facilitate user research, prototype and design solutions for various products and infrastructure, and validate our work through testing along the way.
As part of an initial cohort of designers, you'll have an opportunity to use your experience to help establish best practices and processes for design at NEAR. As a designer working to help build a layer 1 blockchain protocol, you'll tackle unique problems related to identity, security, open finance, asset management, network operations, and more. We're looking for individuals with several years of experience working as a part of cross-functional product teams in areas such as research, UX and UI design, and design systems.
What we look for
- Several years of experience designing interactive applications
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and desire to help manage projects, and the confidence and desire to openly articulate your thoughts and opinions around product strategy
- Excellent UX and UI design skills
- Experience conducting user research and usability testing as a means to empower teams to converge on product strategy and vision, and to validate assumptions about our products and their users
- Ability to effectively synthesize research insights into a form that can be presented and easily consumed and utilized by our team and our community
- Experience working on or with design systems to improve or maintain consistency and scalability across a product(s)
- Experience operating in an unorthodox organizational structure, knowing when to use influence vs authority
- Community focus and open-source mindset
- Ability to work across multiple timezones with remote colleagues
- Experience designing for the unique applications, patterns and interactions inherent to blockchain
- Familiarity with existing blockchain ecosystems, products, and developments
What you'll do
There's lots going on at NEAR, and you’ll have an opportunity to contribute in many different ways:
- Contribute to the overall product and design direction of NEAR protocol products and infrastructure
- Collaborate on building and evolving a new internal design system
- Own and revamp the design of the NEAR Block Explorer
- Design features and improvements that ship quickly and with high quality
- Create flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity designs for product features
- Work closely with engineers and other partners to ensure high-quality implementation
- Facilitate user research and usability testing to learn about our users, align teams and validate your design decisions
- Collaborate with other designers to establish design processes for growing product teams
About NEAR and the NEAR Collective
NEAR's mission is to enable community-driven innovation to benefit people around the world. The NEAR platform provides a decentralized application platform that is secure enough to manage high value assets like money or identity and performant enough to make them useful for everyday people, putting the power of Open Finance and the Open Web in their hands.
The NEAR platform, NEAR Protocol and associated tooling are being built by the NEAR Collective, a collection of the best engineers in the world who work across teams, companies and countries similar to other large scale open source projects. Core contributors include a couple of 2-time ICPC world champions, 2 gold medalists, a Latin American champion and multiple other competitive programming finalists.
Working at NEAR
Roles are posted to this portal on behalf of the companies that make up the NEAR Collective and are typically located anywhere in the world because most of the companies are fully remote. Some hubs are located in Switzerland, Germany, Russia, the US and China. Regardless of where you work, this is a high performance culture that values ownership, execution and professionalism but pairs it with curiosity and experimentation. The vision is big but the right team is behind it.
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- For U.S. employees: excellent health coverage for you and your family
- A supportive work environment keen on offering opportunities for personal growth
- When safe again, biannual company retreats at fun locations (last one was in Buenos Aires!)
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway! We seek to hire a person who will both grow their own skills and help us grow ours, whether those are technical, interpersonal, or otherwise. We are a team and we grow together.