Who is NCX?
- The trusted, number one provider of American-made forest carbon credits.
- Rapidly growing and backed by top investors including Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff, Union Square Ventures, Microsoft’s Climate Innovation Fund, and Version One Ventures. We’ve already doubled in size once this year and are on track for another doubling before the end of the year.
- Creating tangible impact in communities across the US: see what our Landowners and Business partners say about us.
Our technology enables net-zero pioneers like Microsoft to pay landowners to delay timber harvests. Together, we’ve generated an expected climate impact driven by the incremental sequestration of approximately 600,000 metric tons of carbon in the first half of 2021 alone. Join us in shaping the future of forestry and climate economics and see what the world is saying about us.
Our Goal: Create a Massive Positive Environmental Global Impact
We’re democratizing access to forest carbon markets and fighting climate change - that’s no small feat. But our ambition doesn’t stop there.
Up next: wildlife habitats, fire risk reduction, water resources, and more. We are building new economic mechanisms to fully understand and fairly value forests.
At NCX, you will have a massive impact on shaping our growth, culture, and product to best serve our customers all while combating climate change.
Do the Best Work of Your Life
NCX is looking to hire its first in-house corporate counsel to serve as Head of Legal. This role will own the systems and processes around customer, partner, and service provider relationships and advise on a subset of compliance matters related to our business. More than just compliance and contracts management, we view this as an opportunity for someone to use their legal, governance, and business skills to improve business outcomes and be valued as a material business stakeholder. Reporting directly to the COO, the Head of Legal will serve as a strategic advisor to our co-founders and senior management. You will partner directly with multiple stakeholders including Business Development, Operations, Product, and Finance. This role is perfect for someone who is strategic, a builder, project oriented, and a master negotiator. If you’re interested in using your skills to join the fight against climate change we encourage you to apply!
What You’ll be Doing:
- Oversee the creation, negotiation, and documentation for a diverse portfolio of corporate legal matters, ranging from commercial transactions to IP to financings
- Manage all external counsel relationships, including those in non-US jurisdictions
- Serve as a trusted advisor to co-founders and senior management
- Advise senior management on Board management and investor relations
- Add business value through collaboration with management team, giving them time back and turbocharging the timeline of ‘idea’ to ‘contract’
- Represent the company in a wide variety of settings, including commercial negotiations
- Guide the legal process for international expansions, including corporate structuring and establishing relationships with local counsel
- Design and operationalize legal risk management strategies and tactics, including (for example) partnering with the Head of People regarding HR compliance; with the CFO regarding financial security; and with the CTO regarding data security
- In cooperation with external counsel, maintain the corporate records of the company
- Own and optimize a legal budget
Sound Like You?
- 6-10 years of corporate and/or commercial experience
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and licensed to practice law in any US state.
- Experience working on cross-border transactions or in cross-cultural settings
- Experience in carbon, climate, energy, and/or forestry a plus
- Proven ability to add commercial value through active participation in conversations, negotiations, etc.
- Experience managing external partnerships and a legal budget a plus
- Appetite for building new processes, implementing new systems, and managing change in a high growth environment
- Team player that enjoys building teams and possesses excellent communication skills, as well as a great sense of humor
Earn an equity stake in a fast-growing, well capitalized start-up.
Setting You Up for Success
- 100% fully remote workforce
- Full technology support
- $1,000 budget for home office set up
Generous Time Off and Perks
- 20 vacation days 15 company holidays
- Flexible parental leave
- Annual in-person All Hands meetings
NCX is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.