Who is NCX?
- The trusted, number one provider of American-made forest carbon credits.
- Rapidly growing and backed by top investors including Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff, Union Square Ventures, Microsoft’s Climate Innovation Fund, and Version One Ventures. We’ve already doubled in size once this year and are on track for another doubling before the end of the year.
- Creating tangible impact in communities across the US: see what our Landowners and Business partners say about us.
Our technology enables net-zero pioneers like Microsoft to pay landowners to delay timber harvests. Together, we’ve generated an expected climate impact driven by the incremental sequestration of approximately 600,000 metric tons of carbon in the first half of 2021 alone. Join us in shaping the future of forestry and climate economics and see what the world is saying about us.
Our Goal: Create a Massive Positive Environmental Global Impact
We’re democratizing access to forest carbon markets and fighting climate change - that’s no small feat. But our ambition doesn’t stop there.
Up next: wildlife habitats, fire risk reduction, water resources, and more. We are building new economic mechanisms to fully understand and fairly value forests.
At NCX, you will have a massive impact on shaping our growth, culture, and product to best serve our customers all while combating climate change.
Do the Best Work of Your Life
The Forestry team at NCX is responsible for the measurements and models that underpin transactions on our carbon market. Our wide-ranging work includes the use of remotely sensed data and our flagship Basemap data product to improve baseline models for our carbon projects, designing efficient field samples, and monitoring and accounting for changes in enrolled properties for each carbon cycle.
The Applied Statistician is an integral part of that work, working closely with the rest of our team of forest biometricians and data scientists on model development and integrating new sources and types of measurements. We are continually working to improve the accuracy and efficiency of our carbon accounting processes to amplify the impact of the Natural Capital Exchange.
Our ideal candidate is a statistical or machine learning professional who deeply understands a broad array of modeling approaches and techniques, who thinks hard about uncertainty, and who takes a pragmatic, applied approach to model development. If that's you, we want to meet you!
What You’ll Do
- Work within a collaborative team to develop, evaluate and improve modeling and prediction processes, toolchains, and workflows
- Provide statistical guidance on sample design and data integration to support modeling and prediction
- Develop and apply methods for summarizing and reporting uncertainty
- Coordinate across NCX teams to establish and improve systems for calculating and reporting results to participating landowners and certification bodies
Sound Like You?
- Deep understanding of and applied experience using a variety of machine learning and statistical techniques
- Familiarity with statistical sampling theory and sampling designs
- Fluent ability in R, Python is a bonus
- Experience using probabilistic programming languages such as Stan, PyMC3, Pyro, Turing, or Edward
- Familiarity with Bayesian hierarchical modeling, regularization, and nonparametric techniques such as splines and Gaussian processes
- Experience with time series and spatial modeling techniques
- Familiarity with forest inventory, management, and ecology data
- Experience with geospatial and remote sensing analyses using open-source software (QGIS, R and Python packages)
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to execute projects under strict timelines
- Experience with cloud-based computing infrastructure such as AWS or Azure a plus
Earn an equity stake in a fast-growing, well capitalized start-up.
Setting You Up for Success
- 100% fully remote workforce
- Full technology support
- $1,000 budget for home office set up
Generous Time Off and Perks
- 20 vacation days 15 company holidays
- Flexible parental leave
- Annual in-person All Hands meetings
NCX is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.