A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
Each day you will work with a cross-functional team of brilliant professionals combining business, design, product, user experience and engineering expertise, working relentlessly to push the boundaries of what’s possible and paving the road for the future of news and entertainment media.
The Audience Technology group is looking for an experienced, talented and knowledgeable Software Engineer to join the Consumer/Network Services team responsible for developing, supporting and maintaining our microservices, core backend APIs, and systems that power donor/subscriber conversion experiences on NPR platforms . These are the API’s and services that drive innovation and engagement across NPR’s audience facing digital platforms and member station touch points.
We are looking for someone to help develop, support and maintain our audience revenue platforms which include donations and our premium podcast offering. Examples of technology you’ll work with include our payment processing solution (Stripe), the systems powering our Podcast Subscription Service (NPR+). You will also collaborate with colleagues managing customer data in our Salesforce CRM. You will be a vital contributor to NPR’s efforts to increase financial support from our audience for our mission as we build the technology needed to service long term sustainable growth.
You’ll also work on the Listening and Identity services, which directly power the NPR One and NPR mobile applications as well as our NPR One Alexa skill. These services provide NPR content recommendations directly to thousands of users on a daily basis. You’ll also collaborate closely with our client-side engineering teams who manage NPR.org and the NPR mobile app.
This is a union represented role covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with DMU.
- Write clean, efficient and reusable code based on product specifications
- Participate in all phases of quality assurance and defect resolution
- Aid in the development and maintenance of CI/CD pipeline implementations
- Knowledge share, write technical designs & participate in code reviews
- Mentor and coach junior engineers on code quality and best practices
- Consult with senior engineers across the department while designing comprehensive solutions
- Provide input on system design and architecture within the feature areas and services owned by the team
- Work closely with other software engineers, partner teams, dev ops engineers, infrastructure engineers, product designers, QA engineers, engineering managers and product managers
- Improve team/development processes
- Join agile ceremonies,including daily stand-ups, sprint retros, sprint reviews and more
- Join our on-call rotation
- Other duties as assigned
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be assigned, and this job description can be modified at any time.
- Fluency in or working knowledge of PHP (or alternative back-end language)
- Fluency in or working knowledge of PHP (or alternative back-end language)
- Experience in developing and working with RESTful APIs that utilize cloud infrastructure such as AWS
- Ability to develop software that is scalable and performant under high loads.
- Familiarity with SQL and RDBMS technologies
- Strong Object-Oriented programming skills
- Familiarity with deploying and monitoring production systems
- Experience writing unit and other automated tests
- Knowledge of web development best practices, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, deployment, rollback, testing, monitoring
- Experience with Stripe or other payment processing platforms.
- Experience with Supporting Cast or other podcast subscription platforms.
- Previous work in PCI-compliant environments, or comparable security experience
- Experience with CRM platforms used by NPR and Member stations such as Salesforce
- Advanced experience with Amazon AWS or equivalent cloud computing platform, including Lambda, EC2s, ASGs, ElastiCache, DynamoDB, RDS and CodeDeploy
- Familiarity with Google BigQuery
- Additional programming languages and frameworks fluency (for example, Python)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines (Github Actions, Jenkins, CodeFresh, or equivalent)
- Experience using performance monitoring and log aggregation applications (Datadog, New Relic)
- Knowledge and experience with different caching layers of caching (browser, DNS, web server, application, etc) and caching technologies/services (Redis, Elasticache, CDNs, AWS CloudFront)
- Exposure to NoSQL databases (Elasticsearch, DynamoDB)
- Experience with React and Redux
- A/B testing experience
- A passion for NPR’s content and/or familiarity with our digital products
Remote Permitted: This is a remote permitted role. This role is based out of our Washington, DC office but the employee may choose to work on a remote basis from a location that NPR approves.
This is a full time, exempt position.
Salary Range: The U.S. based anticipated salary range for this opportunity is $117,968 - 121,507 plus benefits. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salaries NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
Benefits: NPR offers access to comprehensive benefits for employees and dependents. Regular, full-time employees scheduled to work 30 hours or more per week are eligible to enroll in NPR’s benefits options. Benefits include access to health and wellness, paid time off, and financial well-being. Plan options include medical, dental, vision, life/ accidental death and dismemberment, long-term disability, short-term disability, and voluntary retirement savings to all eligible NPR employees.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.