A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
Each day you will work with a cross-functional team of brilliant professionals combining business, design, product, user experience and engineering expertise, working relentlessly to push the boundaries of what’s possible and paving the road for the future of news and entertainment media.
The Audience Technology group is looking for an experienced, talented and knowledgeable Senior Software Engineer to join the Data/Content Services team responsible for developing, supporting and maintaining our data and analytics products and services. These services are used to highlight key trends and insights across podcasts, web, mobile apps and social media. These datasets are used to extract insights from complex media usage in order to inform stakeholders both at NPR and at Member Stations across the country.
As a senior software engineer on our team, you will be met with exciting challenges to iterate on existing systems and build new datasets, dashboards and pipelines for analyzing trends in audience engagement.
In addition, the team is responsible for core backend APIs and other services that are responsible for podcast distribution, as well as content delivery for the NPR.org homepage, topic stories, and local and national newscasts. Our stakeholders range from local member stations around the country to key business stakeholders inside of NPR. Come join us and make an impact for the NPR mission!
This position is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with NABET-CWA for DMU.
- Support the NPR Content Services and Analytics team in data analytics, dashboarding, and pipelining.
- Write clean, efficient and reusable code based on product requirements
- Participate in all phases of quality assurance and defect resolution
- Aid in the development and maintenance of CI/CD pipeline implementations
- Knowledge share, write technical designs & participate in code reviews
- Mentor and coach mid-level engineers on code quality and best practices
- Consult with lead and senior engineers while designing comprehensive solutions
- Provide input on system design and architecture within the feature areas and services owned by the team
- Work closely with other software engineers, partner teams, infrastructure engineers, product designers, QA engineers, engineering managers and product managers
- Improve team/development processes
- Join agile ceremonies, including daily stand-ups, sprint retros, sprint reviews and more
- Join our on-call rotation
- Other duties as assigned
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be assigned, and this job description can be modified at any time.
- Fluency in Python, LookML and other data based languages
- Working knowledge of BigQuery or similar (Redshift, Azure, Snowflake, etc.)
- Prior experience working with business intelligence tools like Looker or similar (Tableau, Power BI, Mode, etc.)
- Familiarity with SQL/DML and RDBMS technologies
- Experience in developing and working with RESTful APIs that utilize cloud infrastructure such as AWS
- Ability to develop software that is scalable and performant under high loads.
- Strong Object-Oriented programming skills
- Familiarity with deploying and monitoring production systems
- Experience writing unit and other automated tests using tools like Postman and Jest.
- Knowledge of web development best practices, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, deployment, rollback, testing, monitoring
- Familiarity with R for advanced data analysis
- Experience using APIs to retrieve analytics data
- Excellent problem solving, analysis and data interpretation skills with a keen sense for data inconsistencies.
- Experience with NoSQL databases (e.g. Elasticsearch, DynamoDB)
- Familiarity with Salesforce platform
- Advanced experience with Amazon AWS or equivalent cloud computing platform, including Lambda, SNS, EC2, ASGs, ElastiCache, DynamoDB, RDS and CodeDeploy
- Advanced experience with Google Cloud Platform including BigQuery Omni, Cloud Functions, Dataplex and Composer.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines (Github Actions, Jenkins, CodeFresh, TravisCI or equivalent)
- Experience using observability and log aggregation platforms (Datadog, CloudWatch)
- Familiarity with different caching layers of caching (browser, DNS, web server, application, etc) and caching technologies/services (Redis, Elasticache, CDNs, AWS CloudFront)
- A passion for NPR’s content and/or familiarity with our digital products
Remote Permitted: This is a remote permitted role. This role is based out of our Washington, DC office but the employee may choose to work on a remote basis from a location that NPR approves.
This is a full time, exempt position.
Salary Range: The U.S. based anticipated salary range for this opportunity is $126,541 - $134,248 plus benefits. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salaries NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
Benefits: NPR offers access to comprehensive benefits for employees and dependents. Regular, full-time employees scheduled to work 30 hours or more per week are eligible to enroll in NPR’s benefits options. Benefits include access to health and wellness, paid time off, and financial well-being. Plan options include medical, dental, vision, life/ accidental death and dismemberment, long-term disability, short-term disability, and voluntary retirement savings to all eligible NPR employees.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.