This has never been done before. We are creating culture based on our values and we want to hire people who feel a sense of ownership and responsibility to demonstrate that cannabis can enhance the lives of Canadians and their communities.
National Access Cannabis (NAC) is a unique health care service provider that specializes in prescribing medical cannabis and provides members with ongoing education and care. We work alongside Health Canada and licensed producers to help qualifying patients gain access to their license, as well as provide resources and support on using medical cannabis in their day-to-day routine. NAC has developed a strong history of effectively delivering secure, safe, and responsible access to legal cannabis for thousands of Canadian patients and our business model will be effectively replicated for the recreational cannabis retail space with a new brand, Meta Cannabis Supply Co (META™).
At NAC/META our philosophy is simple. Creating a customer experience that is unique and tailored to you. We offer customers a safe and responsible journey. We aim to educate and raise awareness about cannabis and the products we stock. Our stores are our homes, we take pride in our appearance and creating a welcoming space for our guests to have access to our knowledge, experience and advice.
The Retail Accountant will provide support to National Access Cannabis Medical finance team and operations. The incumbent will support and carry out accounting functions relating to NAC's medical operations.
You will be primarily responsible for the accuracy of financial data as it pertains to medical clinic operations, performance, rent, fixed assets, sales and administrative costs and inter-company allocations.
The role will also be responsible for compliance work as it relates to business licenses, sales and property taxes and store audits. Key to the success in this role is an ability to evaluate feedback and improve processes.
What you bring:
- Exceptional administrative, time management and organizational skills
- Sound judgment and excellent analytical thinking, planning, prioritization and execution skills
- Proven business acumen and negotiation skills
- Professional demeanor with excellent communication skills both written and verbally
- Tactful and discreet; ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Flexible with a “can-do” and “no task is too big or too small” attitude
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities
- Strong command of the English language
- Strong written, communication, computer, and organizational skills
- Superior attention to detail and accuracy and excellent follow-up skills
- Highly motivated and detailed orientated
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Duties and responsibilities
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, primary responsibilities of the Retail Accountant are to:
- Champion the culture of NAC and a positive work environment.
- Provide in-depth financial review of cost center accounts
- Facilitate insightful weekly and monthly meetings with the operations team to keep them apprised of their financial metrics
- Interpret financial information to make process improvement suggestions
- Perform other duties as assigned to support National Access Cannabis.
- Assist with year-end audit file preparation, audit queries and financial statements.
- Assist with Business license, property tax and store audit compliance.
- Provide support to the tax team as it pertains corporate and other audits.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of stock inventory and product cycle counts.
- Identify and remedy accounting issues under IFRS, such as completeness and accuracy of revenue recognition, costing of inventory, capitalization vs. expense, or other issues
- Ensure that effective and appropriate internal control frameworks are in place at Retail Division and that Corporate Policies are being followed.
- Ensure the accurate and timely recording of accounts payable, accounts receivable, inventory, and payroll for Retail Division, and related payments.
- Work in collaboration with senior management to prepare the annual budget, monthly forecasts and all relevant variance analysis.
Skills & Experience
- Experience with accounting and/or enterprise reporting systems in a healthcare environment.
- Knowledge of financial concepts and principles.
- Knowledge of accounting software and applications.
- Large company reporting experience under IFRS considered as asset
- Self-motivated, proactive and results oriented
- Ability to interpret financial reports, ledgers, graphs and tables.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking.
- Experience with compliance (business licenses, personal property tax, sales tax)
- Retail finance experience
- Flexible and able to prioritize tasks
- Strong work ethic and proven ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Superior spreadsheets skills and strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Broad knowledge and understanding of business processes and business systems.
- Ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity, ability to work in highly dynamic, ever-changing environment while meeting deadlines.
Working Environment & Travel
- Fast paced office environment that requires a high attention to detail.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and build relationships with customer base and external vendors.
- Ability to multi-task and be a contributing team player.
- To support our operations, NAC/META anticipates this position may require the successful candidate to travel occasionally, across Canada.
Required Education and Experience
- University/College degree in accounting.
- 3+ years of financial and retail accounting experience in a healthcare environment.
- Pursuing accounting designation is an asset.
This Job might be for you if:
- You enjoy offering a first-class customer service
- You love daily challenges and offering creative solutions
- Things change, and you know how to roll with the punches
- You have exceptional organizational skills to handle multiple competing priorities
- You can think on your feet
- You can stay focused, so nothing falls through the cracks on your watch
- You can work with people positively in a fast paced, high expectation environment
- You feel, if anything is worth doing, it’s worth doing right, every single time
- You pay attention to all the details, no matter how minor
- You stay cool under pressure and don’t get flustered easily
- You do not know the answer, you will dig until you find it
We would love to hear from you if:
- You can communicate clearly and speak eloquently
- You can explain just about anything, to anyone
- You are motivated and driven
- You volunteer for new challenges, without waiting to be asked
- You take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference
National Access Cannabis Medical welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities, as such reasonable accommodations are available upon request for candidates with a disability, thus ensuring that they can take part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. Should you have a request or concern please include a cover letter, outlining your request when replying to this email.
The successful candidate to this role may be asked to complete a pre-employment background screen, which may include criminal, credit, employment and/or educational checks. Any offer of employment is conditional upon satisfactory results of any applicable check.
This is an evolving position as such, the responsibilities and the job title may shift to reflect a change in requirements and responsibilities.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position and can demonstrate that you meet the requirements defined in the job description, please put #chooseme on your resume in the top right corner, then click or copy and paste the link below into your browser to apply for this position.