Narrativ is a technology platform for brands to unlock, manage, and grow their share of product reviews on the open web.
Why is this important? We’ve seen a decade’s worth of e-commerce growth in 2020, and the emergence of a smarter consumer who demands a better way to buy than ads. They’re turning to expert product reviews on trusted sources ranging from The New York Times to their favorite YouTuber. But only Amazon is reaping the benefits today, commanding a $40B monopoly on product reviews online.
Narrativ’s patented technology empowers everyone to win. We build the tech and tools to turn honest reviews that tell the whole story about a product into a multibillion dollar acquisition channel for all brands. Teams at Sephora, Best Buy, L’Oreal and hundreds of others already partner with Narrativ to yield more efficient results than Facebook and Google.
Our work breaking Amazon’s monopoly and fixing broken and out-of-stock links on the Internet has gotten us recognized by The World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and by Fast Company as one of the best places to work for innovators.
Why you should work here:
- We’re growing, fast: Narrativ’s platform hosts 50+ partners spending $20mm+ a year including Best Buy, L’Oreal, Sephora, Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Nordstrom, and Samsung. We’ve doubled revenue so far in 2020.
- We have a talented team: We’re a team of 50+ from places like Amazon, Facebook, Google, and Etsy with a female founder that’s been awarded by the Financial Times, Forbes, and Inc. We’re hiring quickly, with plans to double our team in the next year.
- We’re challenging the status quo: Breaking monopolies and diversifying industries is in our DNA. Come join us on our mission to democratize product recommendations for all and build a better internet for shoppers.
Come join us on our mission to build a better Internet for shoppers!
The Product Graph is one pillar of our differentiating technologies at Narrativ, connecting hundreds of millions of products together through a combination of heuristics, machine learning, and human validation. We are looking for an Engineering manager to lead the next generation of this platform. You’ll work with and manage a small (but growing) team of data engineers as they work to design and implement algorithmic and architectural improvements, develop OLAP capabilities, and power other parts of the system that rely on graph data such as the SmartLink auctions.As the manager of this team, you'll also work closely with product on building the roadmap, identifying and analyzing risks and trade-off's while acting as a project leader for your team.
- Manage, mentor, and build the Data/Graph team at Narrativ
- Work cross functionally with Product, Revenue and the Sales Engineering team on building and maintaining scalable strategies and solutions
- Coach and manage performance reviews for your team
- Review PR’s and give feedback to other engineers across teams
- This is a role where you are coding and managing at an equal level, so except to ‘dive into the code’ !
- Make improvements to graph load and stream systems for analysis
- Measure and improve graph product match quality through data and/or algorithmic improvements
Experience you’ll have to be successful:
- You promote high-quality technical decision-making across a broad stack, pairing a passion for the technical aspects of your domain with the restraint necessary to enable engineers to make their own decisions
- Ability to apply process to amplify your team’s work and deliver products more effectively
- Have the ability to make data-driven decisions in the face of ambiguous or changing priorities and goals
- Have a passion for great documentation, whether it’s for code, system design, or making group decisions
- Expert in Scala, Java or Kotlin
- Streaming/big data platform experience: Spark, Flink, Dataflow, Kafka, Pulsar, nsq, ZeroMQ, Storm, Heron, ...
- SQL (mysql/mariadb, postgres, redshift, bigquery, vertica, …)
- NoSQL/NewSQL database (Cassandra/Scylla, redis, couchdb, Janus, neo4j, rethinkdb, datomic, …
- You're fundamentals are likely in CS, you strive for design savviness code quality
- Experience in Adtech a plus
- Experience using Gremlin/Tinkerpop a plus
- Functional programming a plus
- Elixir or Erlang highly desired but not required.