Narrativ is a 40-person, seed-stage product recommendation platform. We build technology for brands to measure, compare and optimize their fastest growing recommendation channel -- commerce publishers.
Shoppers are asking the Internet personal, nuanced questions from “What are the best shoes for a second round interview?” to “What is the best pillowcase to prevent hair loss?” Commerce publishers like The New York Times’ Wirecutter and Allure produce the best recommendations that answer these questions -- an unmined data source with the potential to transform a $175bn digital economy.
Why we’re special:
- Ambitious technology: Our technology mines and organizes the world’s product data in a way that’s useful (rather than intrusive) for consumers. We built a product graph featuring 100mm SKUs enriched with $20bn of monthly cart data, making it the largest database of products matched to product recommendations.
- Talented team: Fast Company recently named Narrativ one of the 50 best workplaces for innovators, fashion disruptor by Financial Times, and a technology pioneer by the World Economic Forum. We’re here to pursue greatness, embrace challenges and relentlessly improve every day.
- Fast growth: We’re a diverse team -- with experience from McKinsey to Dropbox, Bloomberg to Glossier -- that’s doubling in size over the next year.
Join us for the opportunity to impact billions of shoppers on our mission to improve the value of every recommendation -- to create a better Internet for shoppers.
As an engineering manager at Narrativ, you will be responsible for building your team, developing team members, and delivering results against company priorities. You will dedicate most of your time coaching and mentoring team members, owning the processes and SDLC for your team, and communicating progress and priorities with the rest of the organization. You will also be responsible for ensuring that your team members have the autonomy, mastery, and purpose that they require to contribute and expand their skill sets to get to the next level. You will also be responsible for contributing high-quality code towards high-leverage initiatives.
Narrativ serves SmartLinks on some of the biggest publishers in the world, and our systems operate at scale with little latency and no downtime. We invest significant resources in automation and testing so that we can safely deploy code multiple times a day. All members of our Engineering team contribute to our technical standards and review code. Come join us and help us continue to improve our team!
Core Responsibilities Include:
- Planning & Prioritization
- Contributing to the strategic direction of the department and company
- Aligning your team members’ work with company priorities
- Works with leadership to ensure your team has sufficient resources to achieve company objectives
- Building the Team
- Fostering a culture of continuous improvement
- Designing an organization of 4 - 8 individual contributors
- Hiring the right people
- Establishing effective processes
- Engaging with 3rd party partners effectively
- Developing People
- Building strong relationships with your team members
- Giving and receiving candid feedback
- Helping your team members identify their goals
- Supporting your team members in achieving their goals
- Delivering Results
- Aligning cross-functional teams’ understanding of project objectives and requirements
- Proactively communicating project status with Leadership and Product teams
- Leading teams to design solutions using modern imperative and functional programming languages, data storage technology, and cloud-first infrastructure
- Deploying software using rolling releases, CI/CD and automated testing
- Ensuring the team has and follows appropriate technical standards
- Managing the team to deliver projects on-time, on-budget
- Overseeing the support of mission-critical systems in production
- 5+ years building modern, distributed systems
- 2-3 years in a people management or technical leadership role
- Strong communication skills and a drive to relentlessly improve both yourself and those around you while continually challenging assumptions and the status quo.
Narrativ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.