Narrativ is a 40-person, seed-stage product recommendation platform. We build technology for brands to measure, compare and optimize their fastest growing recommendation channel -- commerce publishers.
Shoppers are asking the Internet personal, nuanced questions from “What are the best shoes for a second round interview?” to “What is the best pillowcase to prevent hair loss?” Commerce publishers like The New York Times’ Wirecutter and Allure produce the best recommendations that answer these questions -- an unmined data source with the potential to transform a $175bn digital economy.
Why we’re special:
- Ambitious technology: Our technology mines and organizes the world’s product data in a way that’s useful (rather than intrusive) for consumers. We built a product graph featuring 80mm SKUs enriched with $20bn of monthly cart data, making it the largest database of products matched to product recommendation.
- Talented team: Fast Company recently named Narrativ one of the 50 best workplaces for innovators, fashion disruptor by Financial Times, and a technology pioneer by the World Economic Forum. We’re here to pursue greatness, embrace challenge and relentlessly improve every day.
- Fast growth: We’re a diverse team -- with experience from McKinsey to Dropbox, Bloomberg to Glossier -- that’s doubling in size over the next year.
Join us for the opportunity to impact billions of shoppers on our mission to improve the value of every recommendation -- to create a better Internet for shoppers.
As Narrativ enters this exciting stage of growth, we are looking for a VP of Engineering who can build and lead a team that will help us reach our 2020 goals and beyond. In the next 18 months, that means enabling Narrativ to dramatically scale its client and partner base, while building the tech that can crunch terabytes of shopping data and turn it into the product insights that only Narrativ can provide.
As the VP of Engineering at Narrativ, you’ll build a world-class engineering team, playing the role of technical coach, team builder, and overall great manager. You will work directly with the executive team, contributing to the overall strategy and ensuring alignment across the organization.
- You will own the talent and growth strategy for the function, more than doubling the size of our 20-person team in the next year.
- You will level up and challenge existing team members, coaching junior to principal level talent on how to make sound technical decisions, from design, to infrastructure to frameworks.
- You’ll own KPIs and outcomes for the engineering organization, and work closely with Product on strategy, roadmapping, and design.
- Deliver scalable software with a focus on customer experience in a timely, service-oriented manner
- Own the technology budget, driving the selection of third-party technologies, managing contract negotiations, and overseeing consultant spend.
Experience we find helpful to be great at this job:
- 10+ years as an engineer, working across the full stack; If you’ve mastered one side that’s great but full understanding across the spectrum of technologies is more important.
- 5+ years managing people, including managing managers. You love people management and you are constantly thinking about ways to challenge and grow your team.
- Experience hiring multiple roles in parallel.
- Experience working at a startup or fast-moving tech company.
Narrativ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.