Narrativ is a 40-person, seed-stage product recommendation platform. We build technology for brands to measure, compare and optimize their fastest growing recommendation channel -- commerce publishers.
Shoppers are asking the Internet personal, nuanced questions from “What are the best shoes for a second round interview?” to “What is the best pillowcase to prevent hair loss?” Commerce publishers like The New York Times’ Wirecutter and Allure produce the best recommendations that answer these questions -- an unmined data source with the potential to transform a $175bn digital economy.
Why we’re special:
Ambitious technology: Our technology mines and organizes the world’s product data in a way that’s useful (rather than intrusive) for consumers. We built a product graph featuring 80mm SKUs enriched with $20bn of monthly cart data, making it the largest database of products matched to product recommendation.
Fast growth: We’re a diverse team -- with experience from McKinsey to Dropbox, Bloomberg to Glossier -- that’s doubling in size over the next year.
Join us for the opportunity to impactbillions of shoppers on our mission to improve the value of every recommendation -- to create a better Internet for shoppers.
Engineers at Narrativ have the opportunity to choose between the technical and management tracks. The team lead is the first level in the people management track. You are expected to spend 70% of your time contributing high-quality code. The other 30% will be spent on management tasks like coaching and mentoring team members, organizing JIRA tickets, and communicating progress/priorities with the rest of the organization. You will be primarily responsible for ensuring that your team members have the autonomy, mastery, and purpose that they require to contribute and expand their skill sets to get to the next level.
Narrativ serves SmartLinks on some of the biggest publishers in the world, and our systems operate at scale with little latency and no downtime. We invest significant resources in automation and testing so that we can safely deploy code multiple times a day. Come join us and help us continue to improve our team!
Core Responsibilities Include:
Ensure quality by writing thorough unit, integration, and end-to-end tests
Design and deploy automated self-healing infrastructure (Terraform, AWS)
Implement automated system monitoring, troubleshoot and resolve system outages
Support and administer a variety of stateful systems including Redshift, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, and Redis
Continually work to improve team capabilities with training, documentation, code reviews, pair programming, and collaboration
Mentor and supervise 4-6 individual contributors, play key role in the sprint planning process
7-10+ years building backend systems in Python
Motivation to achieve results in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
Strong communication skills and drive to improve
Previous experience leading successful development teams a plus
Narrativ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.