Narrativ is a 40-person, seed-stage product recommendation platform. We build technology for brands to measure, compare and optimize their fastest growing recommendation channel -- commerce publishers.
Shoppers are asking the Internet personal, nuanced questions from “What are the best shoes for a second round interview?” to “What is the best pillowcase to prevent hair loss?” Commerce publishers like The New York Times’ Wirecutter and Allure produce the best recommendations that answer these questions -- an unmined data source with the potential to transform a $175bn digital economy.
Why we’re special:
- Ambitious technology: Our technology mines and organizes the world’s product data in a way that’s useful (rather than intrusive) for consumers. We built a product graph featuring 80mm SKUs enriched with $20bn of monthly cart data, making it the largest database of products matched to product recommendation.
- Talented team: Fast Company recently named Narrativ one of the 50 best workplaces for innovators, fashion disruptor by Financial Times, and a technology pioneer by the World Economic Forum. We’re here to pursue greatness, embrace challenge and relentlessly improve every day.
- Fast growth: We’re a diverse team -- with experience from McKinsey to Dropbox, Bloomberg to Glossier -- that’s doubling in size over the next year.
Join us for the opportunity to impact billions of shoppers on our mission to improve the value of every recommendation -- to create a better Internet for shoppers.
Narrativ is looking for a controller with a strong background in accounting practices and creating financial controls for software organizations. As our first employee within the finance function, you will have a unique opportunity to have a fundamental impact on the success of a rapidly growing startup by creating and implementing the new procedures for accounting at Narrativ. The ideal candidate will have relevant experience, coupled with strong communication skills, enabling them to successfully collaborate with different functions across the organization. Individuals with high standards, the ability to positively motivate others, and comfort making critical accounting/finance decisions will have success in this role. Narrativ is entering into hyper-growth and needs to ensure our financial sophistication scales at the same rate, making this an unbelievably exciting time to take on this role.
Core responsibilities include:
- Maintain and oversee the financial health of the organization
- Manage Narrativ’s finances, including: month end closing of books, leading A/R & A/P, financial statements for for due diligence and investor relations.
- Lead and manage the budgeting process with executive team stakeholders
- Develop financial projections model for cash flow optimization, strategic planning, and venture fundraising
- Oversee the collection and reporting of key financial KPIs
- Lead preparation and filing of Narrativ’s annual tax obligations
- Negotiate payment rates with vendors along with auditing debits/credits
- Develop sustainable finance function for Narrativ, including
- 7-10+ years of general accounting experience
- Preferred, previous experience as Controller or Accounting Director
- Preferred, previous experience in SaaS organization
- BA/BS in Accounting, Finance, Economics or other business-related fields
- Accounting certifications (e.g. CPA, CMA)
- Strong understanding of the latest in account practices and tax code which would impact Narrativ
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented, and disciplined
- Demonstrated analytical abilities, tendency to quickly connect disparate pieces of data and surmise data-driven recommendations
- Strategic thinker/problem solver who thrives in fast-paced environments, sets clear processes, and is adept at prioritization
- Strong communications skills including the ability to translate business priorities into financial implications and collaborate with colleagues on the engineering and business team
- Desire to work a high-growth start-up, including:
- Touching and understanding all parts of the business (e.g. Marketing, Product, Engineering, etc)
- Developing Narrativ’s finance function from scratch and writing the playbooks to make our internal accounting processes best-in-class.
- We offer competitive salaries and health, dental, vision benefits
- We are challenging monopolies and architecting a new business model for media - the work you do here will have meaning
- We are growing rapidly without throwing cash out the window.
- We have weekly happy hours, monthly company outings and our Slack meme game is the best in the business