When it comes to your home, you shouldn’t have to compromise. For over twenty years, our team has been at the cutting edge of the building industry. We now channel these lessons into Nabr, a people-first housing company. Our near-term goal is to put more people on a path to owning a high-quality, environmentally friendly home in the city. Our long-term vision is to help spur a societal shift toward sustainable urban living.
At this time, most candidates should expect to work in-person 2-3 days a week. Nabr is a strong fit for candidates who are eager to jump into a high-growth tech startup, who are interested in design and passionate about improving quality of life in cities, particularly with regard to sustainability and affordability.
About the role
Nabr is looking for a Head of Development to lead the delivery of SoFA One, Two and Three in San Jose. You will report to the CEO and be a member of the company's executive team. You will work cross-functionally with our Building Product team and outside parties to turn our vision into a reality.
This is an exciting opportunity to advance Nabr's mission to make quality housing more attainable over time to a larger audience. Near-term, you will be leveraging your skills in managing construction sites and GC negotiations. Over time, we aim to improve speed to market and reduce costs through more owner-supplied or offsite construction practices.
By rethinking traditional development as a consumer product, Nabr recaptures latent value in the real estate value chain so we can redirect it toward social and environmental outcomes at scale.
This is a foundational role and critical to our long-term success.
In your first three months you will...
- Understand and internalize the Nabr mission, product, and long-term vision
- Become familiar with the role of the Nabr product development, design and delivery teams relative to the role of the development team in managing product design and delivery
- Assume responsibility for overseeing the first project targeted for 2022 start of construction and learn about projects in the pipeline
Over time you will…
- Collaborate with Nabr product development, design and delivery teams on design and delivery from concept design through full construction documents, construction cost estimates and scheduling, through to completion
- Lead due diligence and predevelopment
- Manage relationships with and be the primary interface for general contractors in collaboration with members of your team.
- Oversee third party professional consultants (geotechnical, civil, acoustics, waterproofing, etc.) and ensure proper written documentation is obtained for inclusion in project plans
- Work with the sales and marketing team to provide documents needed to obtain condo sale approvals
- Work with the finance team on creating, updating, and monitoring project budgets
- Review and approve monthly draw, budget projections, and change order requests
- Track potential financial impacts
- Oversee project close-out (certificates of occupancy, final as-builts, Certificate of Substantial completion by architect, etc.)
What will lead to success…
- You are an expert in real estate and construction with a passion for innovation
- While you may have worked across other types of projects, you have previous experience in multi-family developments.
- You have been a part of teams or have led the development of projects similar to SoFA One. Those projects have been built and delivered successfully.
- You want to use your expertise to improve the quality and efficiency of the building design and delivery process.
- You have experience working in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- You are a strong manager and leader
- Your direct reports hold you in the highest regard.
- You know how to manage consultants and third-parties effectively, aligning incentives and driving strong results.
- You hold yourself and your teams to the highest ethical standards.
- You are passionate about our mission to increase the supply of affordable, sustainable apartments.
At Nabr, we believe it is critical that our company embodies the diverse perspectives of the residents we are serving. We are committed to reflecting the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in the workplace and in the products we deliver to residents. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all backgrounds, including those from historically underrepresented communities. We are excited to hear from you!