When it comes to your home, you shouldn’t have to compromise. For over twenty years, our team has been at the cutting edge of the building industry. We now channel these lessons into Nabr, a people-first housing company. Our near-term goal is to put more people on a path to owning a high-quality, environmentally friendly home in the city. Our long-term vision is to help spur a societal shift toward sustainable urban living.
At this time, most candidates should expect to work in-person 2-3 days a week. Nabr is a strong fit for candidates who are eager to jump into a high-growth tech startup, who are interested in design and passionate about improving quality of life in cities, particularly with regard to sustainability and affordability.
About the Role
The Controller is the head of the company’s financial planning and accounting platform and reports directly to the company’s Head of Finance. The Controller is responsible for forecasting, and implementing accounting processes and internal controls, as well as maintaining its reporting and treasury platforms. These activities will span the company’s property management portfolio, fundraising and investment activities, and corporate entities. To successfully manage these responsibilities, the Controller must have technical expertise in real estate accounting; ideally the controller will also have some experience working in FP&A at a venture-backed startup. Furthermore, the Controller must have strong communication and leadership skills to effectively manage the accounting team as well as work with the company’s investors, clients, lenders, and other stakeholders.
In your first three months you will...
- Review and familiarize yourself with the company’s operating budget
- Evaluate expenses incurred to date across cost categories
- Understand the financials of the company in order to meet legal requirements and keep the financial state in good standing
- Plan and implement an improved, budgeting, tracking and forecasting framework
- Oversee and implement the company’s accounting platform to accommodate several operating entities, including property management, construction management, investment management, and marketing services.
- Improve the company’s accounting platform through process updates, system upgrades, and accommodate for the company’s growth and new initiatives.
- Evaluate potential for corporate R&D tax credits and manage process to optimize company’s financial performance
- Review and analyze corporate expenses across departments, evaluating improved tracking and planning.
- Assist with the set up and establishment of new entities, in coordination with the tax, legal and requesting business unit finance team representatives.
- Manage the recording and analysis of all company expenses including payroll accounting including bi-weekly payroll, monthly bonus accruals, amortization of restricted and stock option expenses, amortization of deferred compensation and recording and maintaining accurate payroll allocations.
Over time you will...
- Oversee of the company’s compliance responsibilities, including, but not limited to, investor and lender reporting, tax returns, audits, and licensing.
- Own preparation of internal and external financial documents such as business reports, financial forecasts, and statements to understand the financial state of business, including roll forward schedules, such as Real Estate Affiliates, Debt, Fixed Assets and Developments
- Monitor the company’s financial reports and determine ways to reduce costs
- Keep up to date on the financial market to understand how to maximize profits and find new expansion areas
- Coordinate activities of external auditors and overseeing regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
- Act as the main point of contact for corporate budgeting and reforecasting.
- Act as the subject matter expert for overhead allocations and cost capitalization.
- Play a leadership role in the automation and delivery of financial information across the enterprise and in collaboration with our partners in IT.
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations and perform variance analysis.
- Manage the quarterly and annual close and consolidation processes.
- Review an analysis of the company’s consolidated financial statements.
- Assist in preparation of debt covenant compliance.
Ideally you will have...
- Extensive experience working with a fully vertical multifamily real estate company
- Some prior experience working at at a venture-backed startup
- Some prior experience working in a department that outsourced portions of its accounting tasks
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to manage a full accounting platform and its team members
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with the company’s executive-level personnel and the company’s stakeholders, including investors, clients, lenders, and vendors
- Excellent change management skills and the ability to create and implement new processes and procedures
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and their proper application within the real estate industry
- Strong knowledge of the real estate industry, including property management, construction management, transactions, financing, taxes, and compliance
- Excellent time management and business correspondence skills
- Strong working knowledge of real estate accounting software
- Ability to read, analyze, articulate, and compile financial reports
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Accounting
- CPA preferred
- 7+ years’ experience in real estate accounting
- YARDI experience preferred
At Nabr, we believe it is critical that our company embodies the diverse perspectives of the residents we are serving. We are committed to reflecting the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in the workplace and in the products we deliver to residents. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all backgrounds, including those from historically underrepresented communities. We are excited to hear from you!