*this role is open to remote working within the UK. Successful candidates will be required to travel to their closest UNiDAYS hub (London or Nottingham) on occasion.
The role in a nutshell
Sitting within our newly formed Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team, this role presents an exciting opportunity to be part of taking cloud strategy and infrastructure automation to the next level within UNiDAYS, working closely alongside our developer teams. With a hands-on approach, you will identify and drive improvements in performance, reliability, scalability and security for the UNiDAYS platform.
As the organisation grows, we are constantly developing new features for our systems as well as catering for increasing scale, and improved performance. Our SRE team acts as a centre of engineering excellence across the organisation and focuses on proactive prevention of issues as well as reactive fixing. Whether working with our developers on steering best practice, improving automation across our infrastructure using new cloud services or identifying bottlenecks and issues, SRE is at the very heart of putting our members first.
Day to day responsibilities
The day to day life of a senior cloud engineer within the SRE team may include the following:
- Work across engineering on defining and implementing best practice
- Identify and implement automation improvements within our systems and environments
- Assist and guide the design, development, roll-out and deployment of new product features and services to facilitate our rapid iteration and constant growth
- Troubleshoot issues across the whole stack - hardware, software, applications and network
- Implement and maintain monitoring and metrics to track the behaviour of our platforms and alert relevant teams to issues and opportunities for improvement
- Implement and maintain robust security measures for all infrastructure components including monitoring and responding to attacks
- Document current and future procedures, configuration and policies
- Monitor and plan for capacity upgrades
- Mentor or manage less experienced engineers
- Working knowledge of Cloud Architectural Patterns
- Strong AWS knowledge, preferably including hands-on experience of AWS ECS or equivalent orchestration service and in-depth experience of AWS IAM
- Application deployment strategies and continuous integration across multiple environments
- Automation experience with tools such as Chef/Puppet/Terraform/CloudFormation and strong scripting skills in Python/Powershell or equivalent
- Knowledge of security, network, virtualization, load balancer, and storage solutions
- Mentoring or managing other engineers
About UNiDAYS Tech
People are our lifeblood. Everyone is unique and everyone matters equally. All of our team bring their own skills and personality and each has an equal input in not only what we do, but also how we do it. Some people aspire to greater influence, others want to be the very best version of who they are now. A team needs the whole spectrum.
We value learning and critical thinking. We will provide you with access to a learning platform so that you are free to continue to learn and develop at your own pace. We’ll give you time to do this as well.
We've accomplished a lot since we started in 2011, but this is still day one. We are all still learning and always will be.
We offer a fast paced, fun & social working environment where you can truly make an impact with your work and where continuous learning is to be supported and encouraged.
We work hard at UNiDAYS, but we also believe in fair compensation for hard work. That's why we're pleased to offer all employees full access to our comprehensive benefits package. This includes:
- 25 days holiday per year increasing with length of service plus flexible bank holidays
- Company bonus scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Company share option scheme
- Private health insurance
- Income protection policy
- Life assurance policy
- Enhanced parental leave pay
- 4pm finish on Fridays
- Remote working within the UK (infrequent travel to hubs for meetings required
We are an equal opportunity employer and truly believe in the value of diversity of thought and being. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender preference, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.