The role in a nutshell
The role presents an exciting opportunity to be an advocate for automated infrastructure, working within a team of highly skilled developers and IT professionals. With a hands-on approach, you will identify and drive improvements in performance, reliability, scalability and security for the UNiDAYS platform.
We have a range of systems including our main website, mobile app, administration system, APIs, Partner portals and embedded systems - used in third party websites (desktop and mobile). We are constantly developing all of these systems and more to add new features, handle increasing scale, improve usability and support new platforms.
You will be working closely with the VP Product & Engineering and Head of IT & Infrastructure to develop new and improve existing infrastructure to support our growing needs.
Day to day responsibilities
Include but not limited to
- Identify and implement technical and procedural improvements in our production environment
- Identify and implement automation of repeatable tasks
- Assist in the roll-out and deployment of new product features and services to facilitate our rapid iteration and constant growth
- Automate deployment and fail-over of our systems
- Troubleshoot issues across the whole stack - hardware, software, applications and network
- Implement and maintain monitoring and metrics to alert the operations team to issues and opportunities for improvement
- Implement and maintain robust security measures for all infrastructure components including monitoring and responding to attacks
- Document current and future procedures, configuration and policies
- Monitor and plan for capacity upgrades
What we need from you
You will be a well-rounded infrastructure engineer who can work effectively with both dev and ops sides of the technical team. Passion is the most important quality you can have. You take pride in your work, and are driven to deliver great solutions.
You may have years behind you as an impeccable sysadmin or may come from a developer background having ventured deep into the world of infrastructure and networking.
You're driven by desire not simply to implement new features, but to build, maintain and manage a high-performing platform. You push for positive change within yourself, your team, your department and your business. We want to be challenged by you and to challenge you in order to improve us both. Everything is open for review and we take continuous improvement seriously.
You have a good sense of humour and excellent communication skills. You have the ability to listen and take critical feedback as well as contribute to group discussions and can articulate your opinions concisely. It’s obvious to everyone around you that you have fun with your work and with your co-workers – because they are doing the same.
You love to teach and learn from your co-workers and we love to teach you too. Tell us what you have been reading recently and what has been piquing your interest at the moment.
- Running Windows and IIS infrastructure within Amazon Web Services
- Application deployment strategies and continuous integration across multiple environments and releases using a micro-service architecture
- Automation experience with tools such as Chef/Puppet/CloudFormation and strong scripting skills in Powershell or equivalent
- Knowledge of switches, routers and firewalls, networking concepts, experience of configuring and supporting network switching/routing technologies, in-depth understanding of TCP/IP and LAN and WAN topologies.
- Mentoring (desireable)
- Docker in AWS ECS
- AWS security - platform
- Experience writing infrastructure as code
We aren’t an agency with external clients imposing impossible time/budget deadlines, our platform is our business and so ensuring a consistently high level of quality is paramount.
Our guiding principles are:
- Zero Technical Debt
- Elimination of Waste
- Scalability and Performance
- Continuous Improvement
Everyone is equal and encouraged to work with each other as best suited to solve problems. If you’ve got an idea or a request then there’s no red tape. If you can demonstrate its worth then it’s likely to happen - be it the use of a new technology, a piece of equipment or a change to our entire development approach.
We try our best to apply Occam’s Razor to everything we do. Our product owners and stakeholders truly understand the value of iterative development and embrace the process of continual improvement.
We’ll buy you licenses you need to be productive. We’ll send you to any interesting conferences you can find, as well as support you if you want to be a speaker. We regularly host, attend, sponsor and speak at our local meetups and believe in supporting and giving back to the community.
We've accomplished a lot since we started in 2011, but in many ways, this is just the beginning. This is the chance for you to get in on the ground zero. An opportunity to make a difference within business with global reach.
We offer a fast paced, fun & social working environment where you can truly make an impact with your work. We work hard at UNiDAYS, but we also believe in fair compensation for hard work. That's why we're pleased to offer all employees full access to our comprehensive benefits package. This includes:
- 25 days holiday per year increasing with length of service plus flexible bank holidays
- Competitive salaries
- Company bonus scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Income protection policy
- Life assurance policy
- 4pm finish on Fridays
- Free fruit, tea & coffee
- LOTS OF CAKE
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.