At UNiDAYS our overarching purpose and vision as an organisation, is to support, enable and inspire young people to become their best selves. We strive towards this vision, by pursuing our mission, to give students the power to make every experience more valuable and rewarding.
Since launching in 2011 we have blitz-scaled to 114 countries worldwide through our market leading and category defining Student Affinity Platform - to date we’re connecting 13m verified University students with over 800 global and national brands.
Through leading edge proprietary enrollment verification technology, enterprise solutions, closed network marketing channels and world class team we are a multi-award winning tech scale-up.
With offices in London, Sydney, New York and Nottingham and yet to raise external funding we are on a pathway to creating an enduring consumer internet platform connecting organisation and brands with this uniquely valuable audience at global scale.
We take a long-term view and are in the nascent stages of our growth trajectory so looking for a stage experienced VP Engineering to lead to our Engineering, IT and Infrastructure teams as as we embark on our next stage of growth.
About the role
This is a hugely exciting opportunity to take our category defining and market leading platform to the next level by creating and leading the core technical capability of the organisation, to ensures we deliver an engaging, reliable user experience, develop new features whilst ensuring a friction-less experience.
You are passionate about your work and continuously seek to improve standards. You love technology, apps, APIs and want to work with a world class platform and team.
You won’t stand for less.
You’re creative and strategic and you’ll build a best in class operation and influence and inspire the entire company. You’re looking for somewhere to do the best work of your career and positively impact hundreds of millions of young people.
You’re not afraid to challenge, you excel at re-framing problems and understand that success in the role will involve people from across the business and you will bring them along with you on the journey.
Role and responsibilities
- Lead, inspire and motivate a multi-discipline software engineering team, covering Engineering, IT and Infrastructure. You will have a direct team of 4, managing c50 people
- Create, communicate and execute on a clear technical vision that aligns with Company strategy
- Drive good practice within the teams with a focus on accountability, ownership and problem resolution
- Foster a strong culture of self organisation, pushing and pulling in the right direction where needed
- Drive external collaboration to position UNiDAYS as a category leader and champion our Brand
- Be a culture cheerleader - building upon the work already done to create a performance based environment
- Lead key strategic projects to drive success and maintain quality control across all work streams
- Meet ambitious timelines while balancing business risks and trade-offs
- Review processes, culture, development techniques and always look to enhance. Discarding what doesn’t work
- Ensuring code standards are high and quality of work is maintained
- Responsible for systems performance
- Bringing new UNiDAYS products and services to life - with responsibility for getting the features we need to market in time
- Review and establish SLA’s of UNiDAYS systems, be responsible for assuring them
- Consistently apply significant knowledge of Agile/Lean within the team
Key skills and experience
- Demonstrable experience of working in a fast paced and quickly evolving digital organisation with global reach.
- Proven team leader with significant experience in consumer Internet organisations
- Experience building and managing globally distributed teams
- Significant development experience over a wide range of technical areas (web, database, cloud computing, mobile)
- Proven track record of leading and managing teams on complex software projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to prioritise delivery of the things that will have the most business impact
- Able to measure impact and share results with the organisation from analytics using qualitative and quantitative research
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.