We are Mythical Games. A Venture-backed next-generation game technology company at the intersection of video games and economics led by industry veterans. Our goal is to lead the industry with the launch of exceptional video game experiences that leverage distributed ledger technology, while also providing a platform of robust tools that will allow any other game developers to do the same.
We are actively seeking a talented Development Director to join our growing Blankos Block Party leadership team. Reporting to the Executive Producer, the Development Director will drive to quality targets and own schedules for their teams. This is achieved by working closely with various teams to identify needs, utilizing resources efficiently and appropriately. The role of Development Director requires the leader to be an excellent and persuasive communicator, capable of dealing with a wide variety of internal and external partners. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with all degrees of ownership, from personally managing to proactive planning. Operating in a challenging and ambiguous environment excites this leader and it motivates them to drive quality results in line with team, schedule, and budget.
- Creating and validating project schedules that meets the requirements of the game team; discuss and create consensus on project resource requirements, workflow and milestones;
- Partner with production to manage scope and quality. Actively partners with product owners, tech and craft leads to resolve problems that surfaces for the team
- Create new processes as well as evaluate and evolve existing ones across full projects or multiple teams.
- Work with the subject matter experts within your team and ensure that the workflow is clearly defined, processes are documented, and staff is trained on expectations on the workflow.
- Tracks progress of team’s deliverables and provides regular status reporting and capacity plan updates.
- Identify project risks through regular monitoring of production status, team morale and communication channels; call out project risks and create mitigation plans before they become an issue;
- Manage change request process by clearly communicating to project stakeholders the nature of the change request, the cost of changes and the prioritization of the changes
- Monitor and adjust capacity plans for multiple projects/teams to address skill gaps and identify funding needs
- Provide leadership and mentorship to team members through regular 1:1s and weekly team meetings;
- Ensuring the teams have all the necessary information required to do their job and maintain an environment that encourages creativity and collaboration
- 8+ years total of game development experience with 5 years in project management and 3 years in managing a development team;
- Strong communication skills across all levels of an organization including negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution;
- Experience working in a Scrum/Agile software development environment
- Demonstrated history of building deep and meaningful relationships; others enjoy working with and for you
- Exceptional practical knowledge of product planning and execution, with a deep understanding of game development.
- Excellent hands-on change management skills; with proven experience embracing ambiguity and meeting commitments.
- Great problem-solving skills, and ability to motivate others to find solutions in new situations and dynamic environments.
- Deep knowledge of Jira, Confluence, Microsoft Office, and the G-Suite
- PMP Certification
- Experience in distributed development is a big plus
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- An emphatic passion for managing creative teams.
- Demonstrated experience as a project manager working in game development
- Experience managing internal and external teams
- You have many conflict resolution tools in your tool belt.
- Excellent and persuasive communication skills; comfortable communicating across all levels of an organization
- Confidence and conviction; you take ownership and always know the status of your projects and are ready to produce a visual status update for any audience
- A strong understanding of the complexities and requirements of game production and how to manage them.
- A bias for action and experience with predicting issues before they come up.
- Passion to build teams and a great culture, fueled by empathy.
Our team values diversity and believes that it strengthens our games, products, and communities. We strongly encourage POC, folks with disabilities, those belonging to the LGBTQIA+ communities, and folks across all gender identities to apply.
We offer our team benefits such as (but not limited to) high-quality Vision, Dental, and Health Care, generous Parental Leave, and Unlimited PTO to ensure that they actually take time off without the stress of needing to accrue time.
If you need assistance around accommodations due to a disability, please reach out to email@example.com. We will be with you as soon as possible; our goal is to ensure an accessible and equitable interview process for everyone.