We are seeking an Economist to join a growing cross-functional team of quants, developers, and product leaders building a best-in-class marketplace platform for digital assets. As part of the Marketplace product team, the role presents an opportunity for a thoughtful economist to make direct contributions to our platform at scale. You will work with cross-functional teams of engineers, researchers, and data scientists, combining causal inference with business intuition to set the tactical and strategic direction of the product and broader business. You will design and support the development of consumer pricing products, market design tools, and decision-making and execution tools for our marketplace management operations.
The ideal candidate will pair a strong academic background with a pragmatic approach and will be able to balance technical rigor with execution. You can prioritize trade-offs independently and work seamlessly with your counterparts in the team and across the org. You are a strong performer, willing to challenge the status quo and think outside of the box, with a passion for markets and data solutions.
This role will report to our VP, Marketplace.
- Leverage economic and econometric techniques to frame and answer questions about marketplace user preferences, supply and demand dynamics, and interactions
- Support with the design, execution, and evaluation of pricing experiments and causal analysis
- Help set the experimentation roadmap in partnership with research, data, product teams
- Contribute to the foundational marketplace structure, such as auction, fee, and order matching policy, by drawing on your knowledge of mechanism design and auction theory
- Use empirical and experimental data to improve the design of our data products, inventory management, and pricing operations
- Collaborate with product, engineering, marketing, finance, and business development stakeholders to enable data-driven decisions and productize experimentation insights
- Inform broad strategic and product direction by estimating and applying structural models of supply and demand to evaluate the general equilibrium effects of business decisions
- Communicate effectively with senior management and counterparts across the organization
- Ph.D. in Economics, Finance, or a related technical field with exceptional academic credentials
- Intermediate to advanced Python development skills
- Experience working with Python scientific computing packages (NumPy, SciPy, pandas, sklearn, PyTorch, JAX)
- Proficiency with SQL
- Detailed knowledge of applied methods in optimization, statistics, econometrics, and machine learning
- Exceptional problem-solving skills; able to work independently on long-term technical projects
- Self-starter with natural curiosity and investigative skills who takes ownership to drive results
- A team player committed to delivering results in a fast-paced environment
- Academic focus on either industrial organization or similar empirical microeconomics
- 2+ years of experience in industry or consulting
- Familiarity with the GCP suite, including BigQuery, Composer, and Cloud Functions
- Experience using Monte Carlo methods, such as the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm and the Gibbs sampler
- Experience contributing to risk and profitability decisions in a marketplace setting
- Comfort operating in cloud-first, *nix-centric environments
- High volume marketplace experience
- Passion for computer games
Our team values diversity and believes that it strengthens our products and communities. We strongly encourage POC, folks with disabilities, those belonging to the LGBTQIA+ communities, and folks across all gender identities to apply.
We offer our team benefits such as (but not limited to) high-quality Vision, Dental, and Health Care, generous Parental Leave, and Unlimited PTO to ensure that they actually take time off without the stress of needing to accrue time.
If you need assistance around accommodations due to a disability, please reach out to email@example.com. We’ll be with you as soon as possible; our goal is to ensure an accessible and equitable interview process for everyone.