We're looking for an intermediate Interaction Designer with a passion for solving complex interaction challenges for some of the most innovative and influential organizations around the globe. As an advocate for your practice area, you'll work alongside a visual interface designer, developers, and product people to help bring workplace products to life in a truly cross-disciplinary setting. You'll exercise both your synthesis and generation abilities, uncovering user needs and addressing those opportunities with intelligent, modern interface designs.
- Work collaboratively with your team to conduct stakeholder & user research, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Synthesize raw research data into meaningful personas, scenarios, and insights as an input to the design process.
- Recommend success metrics for products and projects.
- Use conceptual models, diagrams, and maps to develop and communicate interaction models and architectures.
- Facilitate sketching sessions to produce paper or technical prototypes with wireframes or schematics.
- Work with the client and users to facilitate testing and analysis of products; summarize recommendations.
- Review implementation of design work with your team to ensure quality control of the interaction model.
- Present team research findings and work to our clients.
- Contribute regularly to Myplanet’s content-generation efforts.
- Developing processes and providing training for each of your responsibilities to help teams and future hires conduct their own research, interaction design, and testing is encouraged, but not required.
Is the Role a Fit for You?
The Interaction Designer role emphasizes team collaboration as well as leadership in your area of expertise. You’ll find fulfillment in the role if you…
- Delight in making things. You thrill at the concept of going beyond the theoretical and applying your ideas, skills and expertise to products used by real people every single day.
- Find passion in new challenges. You relish every opportunity to move things forward with your can-do attitude and eagerly share your entrepreneurial spark.
- Thoroughly enjoy collaborative work. You enjoy knowledge sharing in all directions and you geek out at the chance to improve skills across disciplines for you and your teammates. Most importantly, you relish the opportunity to be part of a team of design warriors who co-own the output, instead of a solo design hero who lives and dies by their work alone.
Qualifications & Skills
- A college or university degree in a related discipline preferable.
- Minimum 3 years industry experience working as a user experience professional with direct, hands-on experience conducting research and designing interfaces.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating:
- Clear understanding of interaction design principles and processes, with examples of work prepared on a commercial or volunteer basis. We want to see more than your hypothetical band website!
- Strong visual thinking skills. We don’t expect our Interaction Designers to be experts in visual design, but we do expect them to produce clear, well-organized, and feasible interfaces.
- Strong communication skills. You won’t always need to be the spokesperson for your ideas, but you should be comfortable when called on to present to peers, clients and stakeholders, as well as be comfortable giving and receiving critique when appropriate.
Performance & Growth Expectations
- Your work as a design team member will be measured using our 360-degree system (a combination of peer and supervisor feedback) and will also be measured on the basis of client and user satisfaction.
- We place emphasis on recognizing accomplishments, responsibilities, knowledge, and impact on others, but we have opportunities for advancement into new positions that contribute to the business in different ways.
- Your growth path in your functional domain will be primarily your own responsibility to define, based on what you hope to achieve and how you choose to access the resources available to you.
Benefits & Perks
- Everyone's an owner. Our stock option plan means every full-time, permanent employee at Myplanet has a stake in our future.
- Explore ongoing opportunities for professional development: training, conferences, certifications, and in-house peer mentorship.
- Experiment with new techniques, wear multiple hats, and learn about new disciplines. Our environment is not your average, hierarchical design studio: we emphasize accountability for outcomes, but autonomy in activities.
- Pursue independent projects, explore new ideas, and challenge yourself to become a thought leader in your field with 5 days of dedicated, paid “Awesome time” (self-directed professional development) annually.
- Enjoy a flexible schedule of full-time hours, health/dental benefits and private US coverage.
- Work from a modern, ergonomic space complete with standing/sitting desks and an open-concept social atmosphere.
We're a software studio with an integrated team of designers and developers. We make smarter interfaces for the world's most influential companies by implementing leading software platforms from Acquia, IBM, and Salesforce to empower your employees and engage your customers. Headquartered in Toronto, with studio presence in Vancouver, San Jose, and Chicago, we're a team of over 100 designers, developers, product managers & enablers hell-bent on making the workplace better.
A Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment as we work to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. We are dedicated to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.