Location: Remote, Western Hemisphere.
The Software Development Manager role at Myplanet is a role for people and technology leaders who demonstrate a relentless passion for delivering amazing work, coaching others in their craft, and helping Myplanet grow as a business. Above all you do so with technical curiosity, empathy, humility and without ego. In this role you will report directly to the Director, Software Development.
As a Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of Software Developers (~20% unbilled time) and leading software project teams (~80% of time as a lead or architect). Typically this is 5-10 people. You will dig deep to refine our practices & technique, coach team members and peers on the craft and their professional growth, spot talent, and build Myplanet’s brand externally through thought leadership. If you’re interested in deepening your leadership skill with a crystal clear focus, the Manager, Software Development role may be ideal.
- Contribute as a billable team member on a focus project, typically as a Technical Lead or Architect
- Help to critically assess and improve the methods, tools, techniques, and practices integral to your craft; understand how to optimize these with other tactical processes within the company
- Identify exceptional performers on our team and help everyone grow to their fullest potential
- Spot top-notch talent in your domain and help identify new people to join our team
- Promote cross-functional collaboration with all Myplanet teams (Design, Ops, Sales, IT, Finance, etc) - no single team can make Myplanet successful
- Regularly produce thought leadership content to help build the Myplanet brand externally
- Explore training opportunities for the existing team and facilitate an increase in overall craft competence for the organization
- Drive 360-degree performance evaluations for people in your group who share your primary competence
- Assess and monitor the overall level of competency of the company within your domain and provide a roadmap for ‘levelling up’
- 5+ years of experience delivering and leading software development teams with a focus on strong software engineering principles such as SOLID, Test-Driven Development, and maintainability
- Proven track record of coaching and mentoring other team members both on technical hard skills and behavioural skills, either in a direct management or lead capacity
- Ideally experience delivering cloud-native applications that leverage the modern capabilities of serverless, cloud computing, and micro services architectures
- Ideally experience working in a professional services or consulting organization or context.
- Nice to have; experience in the ecommerce industry understanding systems such as OMSs, ERPs, PIMs, etc.
Is the Role a Fit for You?
The Software Development Manager role emphasizes process, technique, and mentorship. You’ll be most content in the role if you:
- Want the opportunity to mentor, lead, and grow the business while retaining the opportunity to get your hands dirty and work directly on a project
- Have a knack for inspiring others with your work
- Enjoy seeking out and adapting training methods to coach others in your discipline
- Delight in watching others excel in their craft and advancing their careers
- Thoroughly enjoy thinking critically about your craft and sharing your thoughts both internally and externally—you have the evidence to show it
- Have a proven area of expertise demonstrable with a solid portfolio. You may be more specialist than a generalist, but you think critically about the intersection of your craft with other domains, and actively engage with other disciplines to understand how they can work well together
- Geek out over tactical process and workflow and have the ability to think operationally about your domain
- You measure your career progress primarily on the basis of accomplishments, responsibilities, knowledge, and impact on others, rather than the title
Performance and Growth Expectations
Our environment is not your average, hierarchical software studio: we emphasize accountability for outcomes, but autonomy in activities. Your work will be measured using our 360-degree system (a combination of peer and supervisor feedback) and will also be measured on the basis of client and user satisfaction. Your growth path is in your hands— you will have ongoing meetings with your mentor/manager to help determine your path, but your progress will be based on what you hope to achieve and how you choose to access the resources available to you.
Myplanet is a software studio and certified BCorp. Based in Toronto with global studio presence, we’re working with the world’s most influential organizations to catalyze change across business silos.
Drawing from a range of talents and perspectives, our team brings together data, systems thinking, and curiosity to build next generation experiences. We’re tackling mission-critical digital challenges for businesses by taking the millions of moments of interaction they have with customers every day and surfacing key opportunities to engage and connect within those moments.
We’re building deep capabilities in data-driven design, AI implementation, and personalization, while forming strong partnerships with leaders in machine learning, hardware development, and IoT platforms. We’re shaping the way organizations use technology to deliver context-aware, multi-interface experiences that equip them to meet their business goals.
While headquartered in Toronto, Canada, we're a remote-first company of over 100 employees.
Committed to an Inclusive Workplace
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment as we build a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. We are dedicated to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Committed to Social and Environmental Stewardship
Myplanet is committed to promoting and working towards a more socially and environmentally sustainable future. All employees are expected to make decisions and take actions in relation to their role and work that follow through on this commitment.