We're looking for a Senior Experience Designer with a passion for the world of commerce and a drive to pioneer new methods at the intersection of design and data analytics. As an advocate for your practice area, you'll work in a truly cross-disciplinary setting alongside our product strategy, data analytics, and development teams to deliver end-to-end commerce experiences (web, mobile, and multi-interface).
You’ll exercise your systems thinking skills through the synthesis of qualitative and quantitative data, and leverage unique design systems to create unique and highly usable designs. You will work in close collaboration with our clients, product managers, and developers to ensure polished implementation.
This role is a rare blend of the enduring impact found in a more traditional product design role with the dynamism and energy of an agency. The right candidate will be somebody who is excited to define and implement best practices, leveraging our internal design system for clients, and can craft narratives supported by both qualitative research as well as data and analytics. Bonus points if you are motivated by the opportunity to coach and teach others across disciplines.
- Work collaboratively with your team to conduct qualitative stakeholder & user research, supplemented by secondary research on relevant competitor experiences.
- Lead the synthesis of raw research data into meaningful scenarios and insights, and where applicable, personas, as an input to the design process. Support Product Strategy and Optimization team members as they review client site analytics as a design input.
- Support Product Strategy team members as they define experience/product requirements and success metrics throughout delivery.
- Use conceptual sketches, diagrams, and maps to develop and communicate a vision for interaction models and experience architectures.
- Facilitate sketching sessions to produce paper or interactive prototypes with wireframes or schematics.
- Leverage Myplanet’s design systems and extend where appropriate to meet clients’ and users’ needs. Create cohesive experiences using Myplanet’s and client-provided design systems.
- Define and design the UI visual language (including motion and interactivity) or adapt existing UI or brand identity systems.
- Produce just enough high fidelity design work to support successful delivery; incorporate Myplanet design system components where available; manage or contribute back to design systems.
- Work with the client and users to facilitate testing and analysis of experiences; summarize recommendations.
- Review implementation of design work with your team to ensure quality control of the experience flow and presentation layer.
- Communicate with and guide external parties (for example, stakeholders) where necessary to ensure effective approval of design work throughout delivery.
- Contribute to Myplanet’s internal design systems, where appropriate.
- Contribute to defining and improving our Design culture of critiques, testing, research and education while also providing skills mentorship to Junior Experience Designers.
- Mentor development-oriented team members to improve their understanding of design and encourage their contribution to design discourse surrounding the experiences you create.
Is the Role a Fit for You?
The Product Designer role emphasizes team collaboration, leadership in your area of expertise, and a strategic mindset. You'll find fulfillment in the role if you...
- Delight equally in making things, thinking in systems, and using data wherever possible to support your decisions and arguments. You like to go beyond the theoretical and deliver flexible digital experiences that can scale and evolve.
- Get energy from new challenges. You’re innately curious and you relish every opportunity to move things forward with your can-do attitude and entrepreneurial spark.
- Thoroughly enjoy collaborative work. You enjoy knowledge sharing in all directions and you relish the opportunity to be part of a team that co-owns the output, instead of a solo design hero who lives and dies by their work alone.
Qualifications & Skills
- A college or university degree in a related discipline is preferred.
- 5+ years industry experience working as a user experience professional with direct, hands-on experience conducting research and designing interfaces.
- A strong portfolio with a variety of projects demonstrating:
- A clear understanding of interface design principles and processes, with examples of work prepared on a commercial or volunteer basis.
- Tangible examples of high fidelity design work that illustrate both raw creative talent and refined expertise in visual design.
- Strong communication skills. You should be comfortable when called on to present to peers, clients and stakeholders, and comfortable giving and receiving critique when appropriate.
- Successful design process definition and implementation. You have led others in defining/iterating best practices and have successfully implemented necessary changes to a process.
- Bonus points if you’ve dabbled with analytics and/or worked with emerging interface categories including conversational UI, extended reality, and in-store experiences in a commerce context.
- Conceptual understanding of HTML/CSS/JS is required, but bonus points if you can deliver production-grade front-end code or have a desire to pursue skills development in this area.
Performance & Growth Expectations
- Your work as a design team member will be measured using our 360-degree system (a combination of peer and supervisor feedback) and will also be measured on the basis of client and user satisfaction.
- We place emphasis on recognizing accomplishments, responsibilities, knowledge, and impact on others, but we have opportunities for advancement into new positions that contribute to the business in different ways.
- Your growth path in your functional domain is in your hands—you’ll meet regularly with your professional development mentor to help define your path, but your progress will be based on what you hope to achieve and how you choose to access the resources available to you.
Myplanet is a software studio and certified BCorp. Based in Toronto with global studio presence, we’re working with the world’s most influential organizations to catalyze change across business silos.
Drawing from a range of talents and perspectives, our team brings together data, systems thinking, and curiosity to build next generation experiences. We’re tackling mission-critical digital challenges for businesses by taking the millions of moments of interaction they have with customers every day and surfacing key opportunities to engage and connect within those moments.
We’re building deep capabilities in data-driven design, AI implementation, and personalization, while forming strong partnerships with leaders in machine learning, hardware development, and IoT platforms. We’re shaping the way organizations use technology to deliver context-aware, multi-interface experiences that equip them to meet their business goals.
While headquartered in Toronto, Canada, we're a remote-first company of over 100 employees.
Committed to an Inclusive Workplace
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment as we build a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. We are dedicated to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Committed to Social and Environmental Stewardship
Myplanet is committed to promoting and working towards a more socially and environmentally sustainable future. All employees are expected to make decisions and take actions in relation to their role and work that follow through on this commitment.