Myovant Sciences aspires to be the leading healthcare company focused on innovative treatments for women’s health and prostate cancer designed to improve the lives of millions. We are on a mission to develop and deliver empowering medicines for women’s health and prostate cancer through purpose-driven science and transformative advocacy. We are looking for passionate and hard-working individuals who share our excitement for this mission. We are also on a mission to build one of the best finance organizations in our industry.
We are currently seeking a qualified, highly motivated, experienced individual for the position of Senior Director SEC Reporting, SOX Compliance, and Technical Accounting. The position reports to the Vice President, Accounting. The location of the position is in Brisbane, CA.
The Senior Director SEC Reporting, SOX Compliance, and Technical Accounting will play an integral role in the Finance organization and will report to the Vice President, Accounting. This individual will be responsible for ensuring Myovant’s overall compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, SEC rules and regulations (SEC filings and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance), payroll and equity administration, and other general compliance matters. The ideal candidate will have an exceptionally strong technical accounting background and proven success in leading SEC reporting and SOX compliance/internal audit functions. This is a critical and highly visible position at Myovant that will offer the ideal candidate the opportunity to join a high performing finance organization and have primary responsibility for all technical accounting, SEC Reporting, SOX compliance matters, and payroll/equity administration. Initially, the position will have two direct reports and will also manage external SOX consultants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, provide, and document all conclusions related to technical accounting for complex transactions, including collaborations, partnerships, business development transactions, share-based compensation, leases, and financial instruments. Determine appropriate accounting and financial reporting requirements and work directly with external auditors, outside technical accounting advisors and/or other parties as appropriate on highly complex transactions to ensure accounting issues are properly vetted and concluded.
- Be the go-to contact at Myovant to conclude and articulate technical accounting matters and conclusions to both accountants and non-accountants (e.g., executives).
- Program-wide leadership and overall project manager for Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance program. Provide leadership and on-going oversight of SOX program, including coordination with Big 4 external advisors that serve as Myovant’s internal auditors, as well as with Myovant’s external auditors. Active participation and collaboration with internal stakeholders and external advisors on SOX program development, testing strategy, evaluation of results, and provide regular reporting to senior management and the Audit Committee.
- Overall responsibility for preparing, reviewing, and ensuring timely and accurate completion of Form 10K, Form 10Q and Proxy Statement, including hands on drafting/reviewing of all sections of each report, as well as the tie out and detailed review of work prepared by the Director, External Reporting.
- Leverage the power of SAP to enhance the financial reporting process by streamlining, refining, and improving the monthly and quarterly financial reporting packages including related financial statement footnotes.
- Coordinate SEC reporting calendar and ensure that all internal and external deliverable dates are met. Lead Form 10Q and Form 10K disclosure discussions at Myovant’s quarterly Disclosure Committee Meetings. Coordinate quarterly Disclosure Committee certification process.
- Review, interpret, and implement accounting policies and procedures, analyze financial impacts of new U.S. GAAP, SEC, and other regulatory rules.
- Provide leadership oversight and develop our payroll and equity administration functions to ensure they are scalable to support global activities and staff expansion.
- Back up reviewer for accounting journal entries and transactions for other areas as needed to support Sr. Director, Accounting.
Core Competencies, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is required. Active CPA license is preferred.
- Minimum of 15+ years of relevant senior leadership experience, including a combination of public accounting (minimum of 7 years with a Big 4 firm) and publicly traded biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry experience is required.
- Exceptional understanding and significant experience in applying U.S. GAAP and SEC reporting requirements, including hands on experience drafting and reviewing complex accounting disclosures. Significant hands-on experience drafting and reviewing all parts of Form 10Q and Form 10K, including the entirety of Part I and Part II, in addition to financial statements and MD&A.
- Program-wide leadership experience managing SOX 404 compliance program at publicly traded commercial stage biotechnology/pharmaceutical company. Deep knowledge of and experience in internal controls, audit risk assessment, and control documentation.
- Working knowledge and experience using Workiva (WebFilings). Experience using SAP and E*Trade/ Equity Edge a plus.
- Exceptionally organized and strong at execution, follow-up, and attention to detail.
- Highly motivated and committed to process improvements and ability to think “out of the box”.
- Thought leader with track record to formulate strategies and translate them into actionable deliverables.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to influence and collaborate in a matrix organization effectively
- Ability to respond to rapidly changing and at times conflicting priorities. Able to keep pace and meet deadlines at a fast pace without compromising accuracy.
- High degree of organizational awareness, ability to connect the dots to understand all the interdependency and big picture
- Exercise great judgement and make decision that is best for the organization
- Comfortable with change and ability to navigate high level of ambiguity
- Strive for continuous improvement and embrace innovative ideas in daily work
- Skillful in coaching and developing team
- Extended hours during close weeks as well as at quarter-end and year-end will be required.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity