Myovant Sciences aspires to be the leading healthcare company focused on innovative treatments for women’s health and prostate cancer designed to improve the lives of millions. We are on a mission to develop and deliver empowering medicines for women’s health and prostate cancer through purpose-driven science and transformative advocacy. We are looking for passionate and hard-working individuals who share our excitement for this mission.
We are currently seeking a qualified, highly motivated, experienced individual for the position of Associate Director, Accounting. The position reports to the Sr. Director, Accounting. The location of the position is onsite in Brisbane, CA.
The Associate Director, Accounting will play an integral role in the Accounting organization and will report to the Senior Director, Accounting. This individual will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the ledger, supervising members of the accounting team, assisting in the accounting close process and collaboration accounting of Myovant’s partnership with Pfizer. The position will interact with all levels of management within the organization as well as with external partners such as CMOs, contractors, consultants, other vendors and the internal and external auditors. The ideal candidate has public company experience in mature commercial environments within the biotech/pharma industry and has experience in accounting for collaboration arrangements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct oversight and management of the accounting team, including reviewing deliverables such as journal entries and account reconciliations, training, and professional development of team members.
- Review journal entries and account reconciliations for areas of assigned responsibility including contract manufacturing and commercial accruals, prepaid and expenses.
- Establish and maintain processes to account for cost sharing under Myovant’s collaboration with Pfizer. Work closely with finance and business partners to ensure that collaboration agreement with Pfizer Inc. is appropriately accounted for under U.S. GAAP.
- Review contracts including contract manufacturing and commercial contracts for accounting implications and prepare contract summaries for relevant accounting considerations.
- Assist in managing the monthly, quarterly, and annual close procedures.
- Close coordination and partnership with the majority shareholder company in the execution of accounting and finance protocols and close timelines.
- Collaborate with business partners in FP&A, Procurement, and Accounts Payable to ensure that purchase orders and invoices are assigned to the appropriate departments and projects.
- Assist with process improvement initiatives and special projects as needed.
- Proactively and frequently interact and collaborate with various internal and external business partners to ensure that financial transactions are appropriately accounted for.
- Assist in researching complex accounting issues and implementation of procedures to ensure that transactions are properly recorded under U.S. GAAP.
- Assist in implementing best practices regarding accounting policies and procedures as well as systems and processes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting close and other finance operations.
- Build and maintain effective partnerships with stakeholders and deliver high quality, reliable, decision ready information in a timely manner.
- Represent team in functional or cross-functional projects.
- Support and implement SOX control procedures.
- Act as a primary point of contact for external audit and SOX consultants, preparing workpapers and ensuring PBC schedules are prepared accurately and timely.
- Coach and mentor junior staff to support their career development plans.
- Extended hours during close weeks as well as quarter-end and year-end will be required.
- Perform other related duties and ad-hoc projects when assigned.
Core Competencies, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required. Active CPA license is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience. A combination of public accounting and biotechnology/ pharma industry experience is required.
- Experience accounting for collaboration and cost sharing arrangements within the biotech/pharmaceutical industry is highly preferred.
- Recent experience as Senior Accounting Manager/Associate Director at a publicly traded biotech or pharmaceutical company is required.
- Prior experience on leading and managing an accounting team and drive continuous process improvements.
- Advanced excel skills required.
- SAP experience preferred.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills with the ability to synthesize complex information from data, policies, procedures and/or regulations, identify accounting and operational issues and formulate solution alternatives, design and implement treatment, workflow, and procedures.
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and SOX requirements and experience managing external and internal audit activities.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to efficiently provide high quality work.
- Unquestionable integrity with great judgement skill.
- Ability to prioritize and manage competing priorities to meet tight deadlines in a high growth environment.
- Proactive and ability to work independently.
- Great at strategy planning and align team to execute with excellence
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity