Job Description: Data Architect - Myntra Data Platform
Myntra’s Engineering team builds the technology platform that empowers our customers’ shopping experience and enables the smooth flow of products from suppliers to our customers’ doorsteps. We work on areas such as building massive-scale web-applications, engaging user-interfaces, big-data analytics, mobile apps, workflow systems, inventory-management etc. We are a small technology team where each individual has a huge impact. You will have the opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing organization and gain exposure to all the parts of a comprehensive e-commerce platform.
You will be part of: Myntra Data Platform (MDP)
We are looking for Data architects who are well rounded - quality conscious, product thinkers, business cognizant and smart – not mere coders. Engineers get to significantly amplify their impact with the scale that Myntra operates at. The same scale also demands the engineers to produce super-efficient solutions. Engineers participate and breed the data driven culture of self-drive which is fuelled with merit based opportunities. In the pursuit of excellence, Flipsters compete against themselves because there is no competitor in the radar.
The Myntra Data Platform Engineering team is looking for a Data Architect to drive the architecture and design of data applications that will address increasingly complex business questions.
Your Role / Responsibilities:
- Architects at Myntra are responsible for driving Technology & Good Practices in Engineering in their respective teams. We are a rapidly growing ; constantly improving organization. We seek very high levels of ownership in all individuals, especially roles like this – ownership of systems in your team and their impact on the entire Myntra ecosystem. Going beyond your role; contributing to make the organization; business better is an expectation. Actively participate in development along with team members for as much as 75% of their time, creating modules; systems that can then be treated as a working reflection of the best practices.
- Drive the data architecture, data modelling, design, and implementation of data applications using standard open source big data tech stack, Data Warehouse / MPP databases and distributed systems. Gather business and functional requirements from external and/or internal users, and translate requirements into technical specifications to build robust, scalable, supportable solutions. Serve as technical lead throughout the full development lifecycle; from scoping, planning, conception, design, implementation and testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance.
- Build the Standards and best practices around a Common Data Model and Architecture, Data Governance, Data Quality and Security for multiple business areas across Myntra. Collaborate with platform, product and other engineering and business teams to evangelise those Standards for adoption across the org.
- Mentor data engineers at various levels of seniority by doing their design and code reviews, providing constructive and timely feedback on code quality, design issues, technology choices with performance and scalability being critical drivers. Manage resources on multiple technical projects and ensure schedules, milestones, and priorities are compatible with technology and business goals.
- Setting up best practices to help the team achieve the above and constantly thinking about improving the technology use are your responsibilities. Driving the adoption of these best practices around coding, design, quality, performance in your team.Stay abreast of the technology industry, market trends in the field of data architecture and development.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of data lifecycle (data modelling, processing, data quality, data evolution) and underlying tech stacks (Hadoop, Spark, MPP). Drives setting data architecture standards encompassing complete data life cycle (ingestion, modelling, processing, consumption, change management, quality, anomaly detection).
- Challenge the status quo and propose innovative ways to process, model, consume data when it comes to tech stack choices or design principles.
- Implementation of long term technology vision for your team.
- Active participant in technology forums; represent Myntra in external forums.
- 12 - 15 years of experience in software development
- 5+ years of development and / or DBA experience in Relational Database Management Systems[RDBMS] (MySql, SQLServer, etc.)
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in implementation and performance tuning MPP databases (Microsoft SQL DW, AWS Redshift, Teradata, Vertica, etc.)
- Experience designing database environments, analyzing production deployments, and making recommendations to optimize performance
- Quick; Excellent Problem Solving skills for complex & large scale data applications problems.
- Technical Breadth – Exposure to a wide variety of problem spaces, technologies in data e.g. real-time and batch data processing, options in commercial vs open source tech stack.
- Solid hands on experience with Enterprise Data Warehouse and Big data storage and computation frameworks like OLAP Systems, MPP (SQL DW, Redshift, Oracle RAC, Teradata, Druid), Hadoop Compute (MR, Spark, Flink, Hive). Awareness of pitfalls & use cases for a large variety of solutions. Ability to drive capacity planning, performance optimization and large-scale system integrations.
- You should have expertise in designing, implementing, and operating stable, scalable, solutions to flow data from production systems into analytical data platform (big data tech stack + MPP) and into end-user facing applications for both real-time and batch use cases.
- Excellent data modelling skills (relational, multi-dimensional) and proficiency in one of the programming languages preferably Java, Scala or Python.
- Strong engineering mindset - drive design and development of automated monitoring, alerting, self healing (restartability / graceful failures) features while building the consumption pipelines.
- Excellent Mentoring skills – Be the technical mentor to your team.
- B. Tech. or higher in Computer Science or equivalent required.
Nice to Have:
- Worked in a small setup (either a start-up or a small & reasonably independent team / development centre)
- Comfortable working in fuzzy environments – where boundaries aren’t clearly defined and Proven experience as a leader capable of motivating and energizing the very best software engineers, as well as gaining their respect. – Be the technical mentor to your team.