At MyFitnessPal, our vision is to be the global catalyst for every “body” to achieve their healthy. We believe good health starts with what you eat. We provide the tools and resources to reach your fitness goals.
Our users rely on MyFitnessPal to power their health and fitness journeys every day. As a member of our MyFitnessPal Data Science team, you’ll have the opportunity to positively impact those users by creating the predictive models and AI that drives the MyFitnessPal ecosystem. In addition to technical expertise and passion, you’ll find that your teammates value collaboration, mentorship, and inclusive environments.
The Principal Data Scientist is responsible for leading the technical implementation of bleeding edge AI products. You will be responsible for technical design, delivery and maintenance of a new machine learning platform that will support multiple business purposes and application features. To thrive in this role, you will execute well in an agile environment where we’ll depend on you to make pragmatic decisions, establish and use tight feedback loops, and take calculated risks based on your knowledge from collaborating with your peers. You’ve led technical design and mentored data scientists before, and are comfortable delivering and receiving feedback with trust and candor. You know that MyFitnessPal’s success is dependent on the success of the entire data science team, and you’re committed to coach and mentor a team of experienced engineers and data scientists.
This is an individual contributor role with strong mentorship expectations and the potential for people management based on the candidate.
About our team:
MyFitnessPal encourages innovation and adoption of the latest technologies available to deliver an amazing experience for our members. Our diverse team of brilliant technologists builds and maintains native mobile applications, a web application, the world’s largest nutrition database, constantly evolving data science and AI/ML assets, the backend infrastructure and data platform required to support these applications and databases, as well as the business systems and data required to manage an awesome company. Technologies, services and/or languages we work with: MySQL, Snowflake, Databricks, Elasticsearch, Python, SQL, Kubernetes, Docker, Scale.ai, AWS Ground Truth, Doccano.
What you’ll be doing:
- Be a hands-on leader of data scientists and ML engineers responsible for the technical design, build and maintenance of ML models that drive a personalized experience throughout the MyFitnessPal user journey
- Promote the professional growth and happiness of teammates through mentorship, coaching, and encouraging positive, fearless, and trust-based collaboration
- Evaluate and improve existing systems to provide more robust solutions that allow others to move quickly and efficiently
- Partner with product engineering, data engineering, and data operations to ensure the team adopts best practices for code development, DataOps/MLOps, testing, data quality, and quality assurance
- Support resolution of production issues with ML model-driven production features
- Work with our engineering, data science, product and leadership teams in support of MyFitnessPal to solve critical user problems. This is a broad surface area and uses a variety of technologies
- Hold others accountable while demonstrating integrity and compassion
- Live our core values in all you do:
- Be Kind and Care
- Live Good Health
- Be Data-Inspired
- Champion Change
- Leave it Better than You Found It
- Make It Happen
Qualifications to be successful in this role:
- 10+ years of machine learning experience in a production setting, with extensive experience in NLP, personalization/ranking, and/or deep learning
- Deep knowledge of AI architectures, ML algorithms, and generative AI and LLMs
- Demonstrated AI/ML product development from inception to deployment and maintenance
- Experience working and innovating on a centralized Machine Learning platform supporting multiple production features / models
- A high degree of technical understanding to be able to closely collaborate with engineers and ML practitioners and being additive in strategic discussions about MFP’s future product offering
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to present technical content to non-technical audiences. Ability to partner with different functions to ensure that your solutions drive real business impact
- Strategic thinking and ability to incorporate larger business context into algorithm and product development
- Help other teammates grow through mentorship and coaching
- Can quickly assess complex problems and facilitate group discussions to identify solutions and generate appropriate milestones and tasks
- Have a solid understanding of what it takes to build production ML-models used in consumer applications
- Strong proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, and SQL
- Have a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field (or otherwise equivalent and extensive real-world experience)
Please consider applying even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. Research shows you can still be considered for a position if you meet some of the requirements. At MyFitnessPal, we’re building a fitness product for everyone and believe our team should reflect that. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Exciting Full-Time Employee Benefits, Perks and Culture
Embrace the Freedom: Be a digital nomad, work from anywhere we have operations within the continental U.S.
Office Vibes: If you prefer working in an office, we've got you covered, our HQ is in vibrant Austin, TX.
Face-to-Face Connections: We value personal connections. Enjoy opportunities to meet and connect with your team members in person to help forge meaningful relationships that extend beyond the virtual realm. Teams meet as often as needed and all of MyFitnessPal gathers annually.
Flexibility At Its Best: Achieve the work-life balance you deserve. Enjoy a flexible time-off policy and work on your own terms with our Responsible Time Off benefit.
Give Back: Use your volunteer days off to support what matters most to you. Each full time teammate receives 2 days per calendar year to give back to their community through service.
Mentorship Program: Take control of your career through our mentorship program where, if you’d like, you will be matched with a teammate who can help you scale your skills and propel your growth.
Family-Friendly Support: Embrace the journey with confidence and care. Enjoy our paid maternity and paternity leave, to provide time to balance family responsibilities with your career and take the time needed to strengthen family relationships. We understand the complexities of starting or expanding a family, which is why we provide best-in-class comprehensive assistance for fertility-related matters.
Wellness Comes First: Live Good Health is one of our core values. Receive a monthly Wellness Allowance, empowering you to focus on your physical and mental well-being by choosing from a range of wellness initiatives, including dedicated mental health days.
Celebrate Greatness: Your hard work deserves recognition! Our reward and recognition platform empowers peers to acknowledge and reward each other for the exceptional contributions they make.
Elevate Your Health & Fitness: Get access to MyFitnessPal Premium, allowing you to take your fitness, health and wellness journey to new heights.
Unlock Your Potential: Access our virtual learning and development library, and participate in training opportunities to continuously grow and enhance your skills.
Championing Inclusion: Our dedicated DEI Committee actively fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace by setting actionable goals and evaluating progress across the organization.
Healthcare Matters: Your well-being is our priority. Take advantage of our competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits that cater to your holistic healthcare needs. Feel secure and supported on your wellness journey.
Secure Your Future: Benefit from our retirement savings program, giving you peace of mind for your financial goals. Reach them sooner with MyFitnessPal’s competitive employer match.
At MyFitnessPal, our mission is to enable people to make healthy choices. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability. These are our guiding ideologies and apply across all aspects of employment.
MyFitnessPal participates in E-Verify.