At MyFitnessPal, our vision is to be the global catalyst for every “body” to achieve their healthy. We believe good health starts with what you eat. We provide the tools and resources to reach your fitness goals.
We are looking for a Staff Search Engineer to join our Data Engineering team. Our users rely on MyFitnessPal to power their health and fitness journeys every day. As a member of our MyFitnessPal search team, you’ll have the opportunity to positively impact those users with your expertise in the services that drive the MyFitnessPal nutrition logging. In addition to technical expertise, you’ll find that your teammates value collaboration, mentorship, and inclusive environments.
While the majority of the work you will do will be in Scala and Elasticsearch, we also have Java, Ruby, Go, Node and Python throughout the stack. We value both your knowledge of search and your general engineering skills to support your teammates.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead the evaluation and implementation of our search and data technologies to ensure the best possible search experience for users of our applications and APIs
- Handling distributed I/O patterns, search performance tuning including data-design, indexing, evaluation and improvement
- Build and maintain APIs that drive our user's experience, integrating with services and systems across the MyFitnessPal engineering teams
- Collaborate closely with product management and other technical leaders in bringing search experience concepts into the hands of millions of users
- Develop tools, processes, and metrics to measure and monitor search quality
- Identify and remove obstacles to achieve the fastest path to value
- Engage in code-reviews as a mentor and peer
- Establish and maintain a culture of quality and ownership for the search engineering team
- Live our core values in all you do:
- Be Kind and Care
- Live Good Health
- Be Data-Inspired
- Champion Change
- Leave it Better than You Found It
- Make It Happen
Qualifications to be successful in this role:
- Substantial development and administration experience in search technology (Elasticsearch, Opensearch, Apache Solr, and/or Algolia)
- Experience in performance tuning, query analysis, defining success criteria and metrics, designing ranking and relevance experiments and optimizing Elasticsearch
- Knowledge of high availability and disaster recovery options for search
- Observed and identified service pain points, priorities, requirements, and success criteria
- Built high request volume APIs for a multitude of clients, including but not limited to: Mobile, Web, Third-Party integrators
- Exposure to a variety of data stores and search technologies (e.g. MySQL, RDS, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Redis, Open Search, Elasticsearch, Neo4j)
- Familiarity with AWS, GCP and/or other cloud computing platforms
- Prior experience with Python, SQL, and/or GraphQL
- Understanding of best practices in database design, data architecture, and performance tuning
- First-hand experience in building, scaling, and supporting large-scale data infrastructure systems in production
- Hands-on experience in building machine learning-based search and recommendation systems
- Experience with implementing ML-based search systems such as query classification, learning to rank or machine-learned ranking (MLR) search is a plus
Please consider applying even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. Research shows you can still be considered for a position if you meet some of the requirements. At MyFitnessPal, we’re building a fitness product for everyone and believe our team should reflect that. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Exciting Full-Time Employee Benefits, Perks and Culture
Embrace the Freedom: Be a digital nomad, work from anywhere we have operations within the continental U.S.
Office Vibes: If you prefer working in an office, we've got you covered, our HQ is in vibrant Austin, TX.
Face-to-Face Connections: We value personal connections. Enjoy opportunities to meet and connect with your team members in person to help forge meaningful relationships that extend beyond the virtual realm. Teams meet as often as needed and all of MyFitnessPal gathers annually.
Flexibility At Its Best: Achieve the work-life balance you deserve. Enjoy a flexible time-off policy and work on your own terms with our Responsible Time Off benefit.
Give Back: Use your volunteer days off to support what matters most to you. Each full time teammate receives 2 days per calendar year to give back to their community through service.
Mentorship Program: Take control of your career through our mentorship program where, if you’d like, you will be matched with a teammate who can help you scale your skills and propel your growth.
Family-Friendly Support: Embrace the journey with confidence and care. Enjoy our paid maternity and paternity leave, to provide time to balance family responsibilities with your career and take the time needed to strengthen family relationships. We understand the complexities of starting or expanding a family, which is why we provide best-in-class comprehensive assistance for fertility-related matters.
Wellness Comes First: Live Good Health is one of our core values. Receive a monthly Wellness Allowance, empowering you to focus on your physical and mental well-being by choosing from a range of wellness initiatives, including dedicated mental health days.
Celebrate Greatness: Your hard work deserves recognition! Our reward and recognition platform empowers peers to acknowledge and reward each other for the exceptional contributions they make.
Elevate Your Health & Fitness: Get access to MyFitnessPal Premium, allowing you to take your fitness, health and wellness journey to new heights.
Unlock Your Potential: Access our virtual learning and development library, and participate in training opportunities to continuously grow and enhance your skills.
Championing Inclusion: Our dedicated DEI Committee actively fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace by setting actionable goals and evaluating progress across the organization.
Healthcare Matters: Your well-being is our priority. Take advantage of our competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits that cater to your holistic healthcare needs. Feel secure and supported on your wellness journey.
Secure Your Future: Benefit from our retirement savings program, giving you peace of mind for your financial goals. Reach them sooner with MyFitnessPal’s competitive employer match.
At MyFitnessPal, our mission is to enable people to make healthy choices. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability. These are our guiding ideologies and apply across all aspects of employment.
MyFitnessPal participates in E-Verify.