At MyFitnessPal, our vision is to be the global catalyst for every “body” to achieve their healthy. We believe fitness starts with what you eat. We provide the tools and resources to reach your fitness goals.Our users rely on MyFitnessPal to power their health and fitness journeys every day. As a member of our MyFitnessPal Data Platform team, you’ll have the opportunity to positively impact those users by supporting the teams that build and maintain the backend systems that drive the MyFitnessPal ecosystem. In addition to technical expertise, you’ll find that your teammates value collaboration, mentorship, and inclusive environments.
The Manager, Data Science and Machine Learning is responsible for building and leading a team of talented data scientists and machine learning engineers. This new team will be responsible for design, delivery and maintenance of a new machine learning platform that will support multiple business purposes and application features. To thrive in this role, you will execute well in an agile environment where we’ll depend on you to make pragmatic decisions, establish and use tight feedback loops, and take calculated risks based on your knowledge from collaborating with your peers. You’ve led teams before—either with direct reports or as a technical lead—and are comfortable delivering and receiving feedback with trust and candor. You know that your success is dependent on the success of your team, and you’re committed to coach and serve a team of experienced engineers.
Our diverse team of technologists builds and maintains native mobile applications, a web application, the world’s largest nutrition database, constantly evolving data science and AI/ML assets, the backend infrastructure and data platform required to support these applications and databases, as well as the business systems and data required to manage an awesome company.
Technologies and languages we work with include: Airflow, Amazon RDS, MySQL, Snowflake, Databricks, Elasticsearch, Scala, Python, SQL, Segment, Amplitude, Branch, Kubernetes, Docker, Okta. We care more about your general engineering skill than your knowledge of a specific language and or framework.
What you’ll be doing:
- Promote the professional growth and happiness of teammates through mentorship, coaching, and encouraging positive, fearless, and trust-based collaboration
- Develop strong working relationships with partners in product management, product engineering, data engineering, data operations, platform engineering, PMO, business intelligence, HR and Finance
- Be a hands-on leader of data scientists and ML engineers responsible for the design, build and maintenance of ML models that drive a personalized experience throughout the MyFitnessPal user journey
- Evaluate and improve existing systems to provide more robust solutions that allow others to move quickly and efficiently
- Partner with product engineering, data engineers, and data operations to ensure the team adopts best practices for code development, DataOps/MLOps, testing, data quality, and quality assurance
- Support resolution of production issues with ML model-driven production features
- Work with our engineering, data science, product and leadership teams in support of MyFitnessPal to solve critical user problems. This is a broad surface area and uses a variety of technologies
- Hold others accountable while demonstrating integrity and compassion
- Enjoy jumping in and contributing to codebase as a hands-on member of the data science team
- Live our core values in all you do:
- Be Kind and Care
- Live Good Health
- Be Data-Inspired
- Champion Change
- Leave it Better than You Found It
- Make It Happen
Qualifications to be successful in this role:
- 4-6 years of experience with at least 2 + years as a lead or manager of multiple data scientists or ML engineers
- Experience working and innovating on a centralized Machine Learning platform supporting multiple production features / models.
- A high degree of technical understanding to be able to closely collaborate with engineers and ML practitioners and being additive in strategic discussions about MFP’s future product offering
- Demonstrated leadership experience working effectively with engineers, data scientists, ML practitioners, other Product Managers, etc
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to present technical content to non-technical audiences. Ability to partner with different functions to ensure that your solutions drive real business impact
- Strategic thinking and ability to incorporate larger business context into algorithm and product development
- Help other teammates grow through mentorship and coaching
- Have a solid understanding of what it takes to build production ML-models used in consumer applications
- You likely have a degree in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent real-world experience
Please consider applying even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. Research shows you can still be considered for a position if you meet some of the requirements. At MyFitnessPal, we’re building a fitness product for everyone and believe our team should reflect that. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Full Time Employee Perks, Benefits, and Culture:
- Remote equal philosophy enabling you to work from any state in which we have operations in the continental U.S.
- Want to work in an office? We also have a physical office in Austin, TX
- Annual, in-person company retreats to work, bond, and enjoy team-building activities
- Opportunities for team members to meet and connect in person for company paid lunches or working sessions
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Safe Harbor 401K program
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Monthly Wellness Allowance to assist team members to focus on their own physical and mental wellbeing and select wellness initiatives of their own choice
- Reward & recognition platform enabling peers to recognize and reward their peers for all the great work they do
- MyFitnessPal Premium
- Modern Virtual Learning and Development Library
- DEI Committee dedicated to ongoing efforts to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace by setting actionable goals and evaluating progress
- Diversity training for employees
- A dynamic, motivating, and fun work environment
At MyFitnessPal, our mission is to enable people to make healthy choices. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding ideologies and apply across all aspects of employment.
MyFitnessPal participates in E-Verify.