At MyFitnessPal, our vision is to be the global catalyst for every “body” to achieve their healthy. We believe fitness starts with what you eat. We provide the tools and resources to reach your fitness goals.
We are looking for a Database Architect to join the MyFitnessPal Platform Engineering team. Our users rely on MyFitnessPal to power their health and fitness journeys every day. As a member of the MyFitnessPal Platform Engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to positively impact those users with your expertise in the database tooling that drives operation and delivery of the MyFitnessPal ecosystem. In addition to technical expertise, you’ll find that your teammates value collaboration, mentorship, and inclusive environments.
What you’ll be doing:
- As a Database Architect on the Platform Engineering team you will architect and implement highly available and scalable data stores using different technologies like MySQL, Vitess, Redis, DynamoDB, MongoDB and other data stores
- Work with engineering teammates to design effective schemas to ensure data consistency and reliability.
- Perform database installation, upgrades, capacity planning, data migration, and performance monitoring across multiple database server architectures/systems
- Design and implement high availability and disaster recovery solutions to minimize database downtime for planned/unplanned outages
- Troubleshoot and respond appropriately to urgent situations and produce quick and effective solutions to database technical problems under pressure
- Use/Develop database automation tools to automate existing database tasks
- Stay current with technical knowledge and tooling to help the teams utilize new technologies
- Live our core values in all you do:
- Be Kind and Care
- Live Good Health
- Be Data-Inspired
- Champion Change
- Leave it Better than You Found It
- Make It Happen
Qualifications to be successful in this role:
- We are looking for someone with at least 6 years of strong, real-world experience supporting production datastores. (MySQL experience preferred)
- You should have experience with open source SQL and NoSQL databases
- Good holistic troubleshooting skills, technical aptitude and a willingness to learn
- You are comfortable with at least one scripting language to automate DB related tasks
- Familiarity with monitoring tools and techniques
- Knowledge of Vitess or other distributed database platforms is a plus
Please consider applying even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. Research shows you can still be considered for a position if you meet some of the requirements. At MyFitnessPal, we’re building a fitness product for everyone and believe our team should reflect that. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.
Full Time Employee Perks, Benefits, and Culture:
- Remote equal philosophy enabling you to work from any state in which we have operations in the continental U.S.
- Want to work in an office? We also have a physical office in Austin, TX
- Annual, in-person company retreats to work, bond, and enjoy team-building activities
- Opportunities for team members to meet and connect in person for company paid lunches or working sessions
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Safe Harbor 401K program
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Monthly Wellness Allowance to assist team members to focus on their own physical and mental wellbeing and select wellness initiatives of their own choice
- Reward & recognition platform enabling peers to recognize and reward their peers for all the great work they do
- MyFitnessPal Premium
- Modern Virtual Learning and Development Library
- DEI Committee dedicated to ongoing efforts to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace by setting actionable goals and evaluating progress
- Diversity training for employees
- A dynamic, motivating, and fun work environment
At MyFitnessPal, our mission is to enable people to make healthy choices. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding ideologies and apply across all aspects of employment.
MyFitnessPal participates in E-Verify.