At MyFitnessPal, our vision is to be the global catalyst for every “body” to achieve their healthy. We believe fitness starts with what you eat. We provide the tools and resources to reach your fitness goals.
MyFitnessPal is looking for a Senior Technical Data Quality Analyst to join our Data Engineering team. You will be responsible for improving the accuracy and usefulness of our organization's data, and the operational excellence of our data pipelines. As a Technical Data Quality Analyst, you'll have a solid understanding of data patterns and common error patterns, a natural curiosity to dig when you see something, and the ability to effectively communicate with your peers and leadership.
To be successful in this role you should have extensive knowledge of data analysis techniques, enjoy learning new data technologies, and be passionate about continuously improving the excellence of data, business processes and the MyFitnessPal app. This role requires collaborating closely with data scientists and data engineers to implement effective automation processes and data updates so data can be mined for quality control and accuracy. Day to day activities include developing queries in Snowflake, SQL, DataBricks and/or Spark platforms, analyzing or sharing data in spreadsheets, developing tests to verify data pipelines and transformations are functioning to specification, monitoring and improving proprietary taxonomies, examining complex data and turning it into insights on the composition and quality of our data, monitoring database and pipelines for performance and quality control, and proactively identifying issues or ways to improve data, systems and database designs to better deliver on the mission of MFP.
What you’ll be doing:
- Perform statistical tests on large datasets to determine data quality and integrity, and quickly identify data anomalies
- Evaluate system performance and design, as well as its effect on data quality
- Collaborate with data engineers to improve data collection and storage processes
- Coordinate with teams to design standards for data operations and data governance
- Run data queries to identify coding issues and data exceptions, as well as clean data
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources to maintain database systems
- Report data analysis findings to management to inform business decisions and prioritize information system needs
- Document processes and maintain data records
- Develop and implement test plans and scripts for automated data quality processes
- Build and maintain manual and automated test scripts and recommend modification as per requirements
- Identify opportunities for use of data or ways to improve data to improve the effectiveness of our data scientists and the usefulness of our data for members
- Live our core values in all you do:
- Be Kind and Care
- Live Good Health
- Be Data-Inspired
- Champion Change
- Leave it Better than You Found It
- Make It Happen
Qualifications to be successful in this role:
- BS/BA or equivalent experience in relevant field
- 3+ years of real world experience testing ETLs, working in data science, or doing data analysis work with large datasets
- Passion for operational excellence and data quality
- Proficiency in programming languages, including Structured Query Language (SQL) and Python
- Strong experience using MS Excel or Google Sheets for data analysis and visualization
- Familiarity working with data using notebooks in Databricks, Jupyter, Spark, or similar
- Knowledge of data science, statistical methods and test techniques
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Knowledge of best practices in data analysis and test methodologies for data pipelines and ETL
- Ability to tell stories with data
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Personal interest in use of machine learning for social good
Please consider applying even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. Research shows you can still be considered for a position if you meet some of the requirements. At MyFitnessPal, we’re building a fitness product for everyone and believe our team should reflect that. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Full Time Employee Perks, Benefits, and Culture:
- Remote equal philosophy enabling you to work from any state in which we have operations in the continental U.S.
- Want to work in an office? We also have a physical office in Austin, TX
- Annual, in-person company retreats to work, bond, and enjoy team-building activities
- Opportunities for team members to meet and connect in person for company paid lunches or working sessions
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Safe Harbor 401K program
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Monthly Wellness Allowance to assist team members to focus on their own physical and mental wellbeing and select wellness initiatives of their own choice
- Reward & recognition platform enabling peers to recognize and reward their peers for all the great work they do
- MyFitnessPal Premium
- Modern Virtual Learning and Development Library
- DEI Committee dedicated to ongoing efforts to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace by setting actionable goals and evaluating progress
- Diversity training for employees
- A dynamic, motivating, and fun work environment
At MyFitnessPal, our mission is to enable people to make healthy choices. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding ideologies and apply across all aspects of employment.
MyFitnessPal participates in E-Verify.