MyFitnessPal is a part of Mogul's Top 100 Workplaces With The Best D&I Initiatives in 2021
Our users rely on MyFitnessPal to power their health and fitness journeys every day. As a member of our MyFitnessPal Engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to positively impact those users by supporting the teams that build and maintain the backend systems that drive the MyFitnessPal ecosystem. In addition to technical expertise, you’ll find that your teammates value collaboration, mentorship, and inclusive environments.
Our Engineering Managers are responsible for coaching and leading teams of talented engineers as we deliver on our roadmap. To thrive in this role, you will execute well in an agile environment where we’ll depend on you to make pragmatic decisions, establish and use tight feedback loops, and take calculated risks based on your knowledge from collaborating with your peers. You’ve led teams before—either with direct reports or as a technical lead—and are comfortable delivering and receiving feedback with trust and candor. You know that your success is dependent on the success of your team, and you’re committed to coach and serve a team of experienced engineers.
About the team:
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join the MyFitnessPal Engineering team. Our users rely on MyFitnessPal to power their health and fitness journeys every day. As a member of our MyFitnessPal Engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to positively impact those users with your expertise in the backend systems that drive the MyFitnessPal ecosystem. In addition to technical expertise, you’ll find that your teammates value collaboration, mentorship, and inclusive environments.
What you’ll be doing:
- Promote growth of teammates through mentorship and coaching.
- Develop relationships across engineering teams.
- Support teams who design, build and maintain APIs that drive our user's experience, integrating with services and systems across the MyFitnessPal engineering teams.
- Evaluate and improve existing systems and APIs to provide more robust solutions that allow others to move quickly and efficiently.
- Support resolution of production issues across the entire MyFitnessPal stack.
- Work with our engineering, product and leadership teams in support of MyFitnessPal to solve critical user problems. This is a broad surface area and uses a variety of technologies.
Qualifications to be successful in this role:
- Can quickly learn new distributed systems and are not afraid to hack at them with little direction.
- Can debug complex problems across distributed systems.
- Help other teammates grow through mentorship and coaching.
- Enjoy solving complex problems with a focus on delivering the smallest executable set.
- Have a solid understanding of what it takes to build internet-scale applications. You likely have a degree in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent real-world experience.
- Knowledge of common patterns and software engineering best practices.
- Have experience working at scale utilizing microservices architectures.
- High volume messaging infrastructure such as Kafka.
- Familiarity with AWS and/or other cloud computing platforms.
Please consider applying even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. Research shows you can still be considered for a position if you meet some of the requirements. At MyFitnessPal, we’re building a fitness product for everyone and believe our team should reflect that. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.
Perks & Benefits:
- Remote equal philosophy enabling you to work from any state in which we have operations in the continental U.S.
- Want to work in an office? We also have a physical office in Austin, TX
- Bi-annual, in-person company retreats to work, bond, and enjoy team-building activities
- Opportunities for team members to meet and connect in person for company paid lunches or working sessions
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Safe Harbor 401K program
- Supported path in parenthood with fertility benefits and paid maternity and parental leave
- Monthly Wellness Allowance to assist team members to focus on their own physical and mental wellbeing and select wellness initiatives of their own choice
- MyFitnessPal Premium
- A dynamic, motivating, and fun work environment
At MyFitnessPal, our mission is to enable people to make healthy choices. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding ideologies and apply across all aspects of employment.
MyFitnessPal participates in E-Verify.