MyFitnessPal is a part of Mogul's Top 100 Workplaces With The Best D&I Initiatives in 2021
The Vice President, Engineering will provide direction to a large, multi-disciplined software development team. In this role, you will interface with executive management, product leadership, marketing, creative/design, development and external partner teams to build successful software solutions. Success will require the ability to work across organizations (both internally & externally) in different locations and ensure our strategy is executed flawlessly. Customer research, group facilitation, technology, business plan development, scalability and quality of engineering product expertise and attention-to-detail in a fast-paced, high-growth environment is required. Experience working in a design-centric, customer-focused environment is essential.
What you’ll be doing:
- Build, mentor, manage, coach, and retain a high-quality engineering team to keep pace with the company’s growth and philosophy of high value for intellectual capital, including the following:
- Understand existing skills and those needed to project the resources required to achieve engineering goals.
- Assess each team and position for strengths, weaknesses, and appropriateness of assignments, restructuring the department and/or specific roles as needed.
- Outline performance goals for teams and each position and manage to those goals.
- Create bench strength for both risk avoidance and career growth
- Work closely with recruiting to hire additional team members in a timely manner as needed to reach full departmental capability.
- Develop the overall engineering proficiency needed to support growth and drive stability during ambiguous times.
- Ensure that the teams architect, build, test, and release high quality, reliable, maintainable, secure, performant software solutions
- Collaborate on strategy, roadmaps, and developing platforms and product feature sets that align to key business results
- Develop, integrate, and enforce a broad range of process activities to ensure the organization operates at an optimal level
- Set goals and prioritize key initiatives on a quarterly and annual basis
- Participate in company budgeting, with authority to execute on plans that are in accordance with the approved budget.
Qualifications to be successful in this role:
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- 15+ years of new product development engineering experience.
- 10+ years of managing an engineering team
- Experience managing local, remote, offshore, and contracted teams, with a proven ability to work across teams in different geographic locations and time zones.
- Have a passion for designing, developing, and deploying production-ready software.
- Strong experience within the entire SDLC and maturing each stage
- Have practical development experience in one or more of the following programming languages: Java, Scala, Objective C, Swift, C++, Ruby, or Python
- B2C, cloud-hosted, and subscription-driven software solutions experience preferred
- Phenomenal interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, negotiating, influencing, facilitation, organizational, prioritization, decision-making, and conflict resolution skills.
- An awareness of privacy and security by design principles is a plus
Perks & Benefits:
- Remote equal philosophy enabling you to work from any state in which we have operations in the continental U.S. (currently, not including AK, AL, HI, LA, OH, WA)
- Want to work in an office? We also have a physical office in Austin, TX
- Bi-annual, in-person company retreats to work, bond, and enjoy team-building activities
- Opportunities for team members to meet and connect in person for company paid lunches or working sessions
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401K match
- Supported path in parenthood with fertility benefits and paid maternity and parental leave
- Monthly Wellness Allowance to assist team members to focus on their own physical and mental wellbeing and select wellness initiatives of their own choice
- MyFitnessPal Premium
- A dynamic, motivating, and fun work environment
At MyFitnessPal, our mission is to enable people to make healthy choices. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding ideologies and apply across all aspects of employment.
MyFitnessPal participates in E-Verify.