MyFitnessPal is a part of Mogul's Top 100 Workplaces With The Best D&I Initiatives in 2021
We are looking for a Staff Data Engineer to join the MyFitnessPal Engineering team. Our users rely on MyFitnessPal to power their health and fitness journeys every day. As a member of our MyFitnessPal Engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to positively impact those users with your expertise in the backend systems that drive the MyFitnessPal ecosystem. In addition to technical expertise, you’ll find that your teammates value collaboration, mentorship, and inclusive environments.
While the majority of the work you will do will be in Python and SQL, we also have Java, Go, Node and Scala throughout the stack. We care more about your general engineering skill than your knowledge of a specific language and or framework.
What you’ll be doing
- You will design and evaluate various techniques to handle and process large-volumes of semi-structured and structured data.
- You will build and maintain data pipelines, create service layer APIs to serve data, as well as drive data discovery and access.
- You will work closely with the team to create new engineering processes as necessary, champion standard methodologies, and promote overall operational excellence.
- You will build working relationships to communicate within and across teams to solve problems.
Qualifications to be successful in this role
- Help other teammates grow through mentorship and coaching
- Are willing to take ownership and responsibility for your work
- Have interest in growing as both an engineer and a teammate
- Like learning new programming languages and tools
- Advanced programming in a scripting environment (e.g. Python) or ETL development experience
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud computing platforms
- Experience with a scalable messaging system (e.g. Kafka, SQS, Kineses) and different data serialization (e.g. json, protobuf, avro)
- Advanced SQL skills
Please consider applying even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. Research shows you can still be considered for a position if you meet some of the requirements. At MyFitnessPal, we’re building a fitness product for everyone and believe our team should reflect that. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.
Perks & Benefits:
- Remote equal philosophy enabling you to work from any state in which we have operations in the continental U.S. (currently, not including AK, AL, HI, LA, OH, WA)
- Want to work in an office? We also have a physical office in Austin, TX
- Bi-annual, in-person company retreats to work, bond, and enjoy team-building activities
- Opportunities for team members to meet and connect in person for company paid lunches or working sessions
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401K match
- Supported path in parenthood with fertility benefits and paid maternity and parental leave
- Monthly Wellness Allowance to assist team members to focus on their own physical and mental wellbeing and select wellness initiatives of their own choice
- MyFitnessPal Premium
- A dynamic, motivating, and fun work environment
At MyFitnessPal, our mission is to enable people to make healthy choices. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding ideologies and apply across all aspects of employment.
MyFitnessPal participates in E-Verify.