MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to create a platform for the highest quality materials using Fine Mycelium™, and our vision is to grow the future of materials. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and our relationships with our customers and one another are built on our core values of respect, empowerment, innovation, interconnection and accountability.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender-expansive individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking a person to fill the role of Senior Manager, Operations. This person will have 24/7 results accountability for MycoWorks tanning operations at our tannery partner site in Igualada, Spain. This person will lead operations through startup to long-term stability. This will be accomplished by driving consistent increases in throughput by leveraging continuous improvement and loss elimination methodologies, all of which is to be built upon a strong foundation of all safety and quality systems.
Critical focus areas for the Senior Manager, Operations will be: implementation of the MycoWay (MycoWorks’ novel manufacturing work system); process and SKU development; coaching and development of direct reports in the areas of leadership, process understanding, and technical knowledge (Learn-Do-Teach methodology); elimination of top chronic production losses to root cause; and fostering a winning culture.
This role interacts heavily with multiple organizations, including Process Development, Product, Engineering, Quality, SupplyChain, EHS, and the People team, as well as other external partners. The role reports to the VP of Manufacturing.
- Lead implementation of the MycoWay by leveraging servant leadership principles
- Define production processes, lead cross functional projects with Process Development, Product, and Quality
- Drive a “Zero Defect” culture, especially in the areas of Safety and Quality
- Create and execute against an annual Master Plan as well as the corresponding 30-60-90 Day Plans
- Execute the PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Act) cycle with a focus on the elimination of top chronic losses
- Perform Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly gap analysis to validate all plans are on track, adjusting when necessary
- Assist in resolving technical issues
- Manage the performance of your team - set clear goals and expectations, give timely feedback, conduct semi-annual performance reviews
- Execute Root Cause Loss Elimination targeted at top losses and ensure they are driven to Zero, coaching teams on the process along the way
- Assist in rolling out all Daily Management Systems and leverage them to drive breakthrough results
- Work with Process Development groups in validating process changes / centerlines
- Assist the Quality department with the improvement of test methods that are tied to top Quality losses
- Meet budget, assessing adherence on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis
- Drive company vision across all tanning operations
- BS in Leather Technology, Leather Science or Engineering preferred
- 8+ years’ experience in tanning industry
- 4+ years’ People Management experience with a proven record of building capability in the organization
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Experience with having 24/7 results accountability in a high-paced manufacturing environment
- Thorough understanding of TPM methodologies and implementation
- Knowledge of root cause analysis tools and ability to train the broader organization on their proper execution
- Understanding of local safety standards and how to drive an “Injury Free” workplace
- Ability to execute gap analyses and create focused action plans
- Knowledge of statistical process control
- Experience working in cross functional teams
- Experience with starting up new processes, equipment, and/or production lines
- Able to effectively give and receive feedback to individuals at all levels of the organization
- Ability to make business decisions quickly while under pressure
- Ability to operate with incomplete information and implicit instruction
- Demonstrated ability to manage a budget while hitting all other production goals
- Ability to travel internationally up to 10% of the time