MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to create a platform for the highest quality materials using Fine Mycelium™, and our vision is to grow the future of materials. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and our relationships with our customers and one another are built on our core values of respect, empowerment, innovation, interconnection and accountability.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender-expansive individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking an experienced engineering leader to fill the role of Plant Engineering Director within the MycoWorks Engineering Team. This role will report to the Vice President of Engineering and will be based in Union, South Carolina, the site of our future state-of-the-art manufacturing facility. This is a key leadership role within the company and will work collaboratively with both Process Development and Production Operations to develop and scale new manufacturing systems, equipment automation solutions, and process reliability improvements to increase manufacturing capacity and meet market demand. A strong track record of leading engineering teams, managing direct reports, and delivering capital projects in manufacturing environments are crucial for this role.
- Manage a team of 6-8 engineers that is responsible for designing, building, and commissioning a greenfield production site to support future manufacturing operations for the company.
- Lead strategic technology development and manufacturing automation efforts associated with the design, construction, and startup of a high-volume manufacturing site.
- Coach engineering team members in the design, testing, and validation of capital process equipment across multiple manufacturing technologies and various unit operations.
- Partner cross-functionally with product research, process development, and manufacturing operations teams to implement strategic process changes that deliver product quality improvements, process reliability upgrades, and production throughput increases.
- Drive the company vision via the development and execution of engineering strategies and manufacturing masterplans, including developing both long-term strategic goals as well as near-term tactical goals.
- Ensure the successful ongoing delivery of key engineering metrics including schedule adherence, budget control, resource management, and risk mitigation across multiple capital projects.
- Guide project teams through the creation of robust design requirements, risk assessments, installation specifications, and commissioning plans for new manufacturing equipment.
- Manage relations / expectations with key third-party vendors including design firms, equipment suppliers, and construction contractors to ensure the successful delivery of capital projects.
- Implement the MycoWay engineering work process to support the successful delivery of engineering projects across the company.
- Build a culture of personal accountability and high performance within the site engineering team and support direct reports in their ongoing personal development and career progression objectives.
- BS/MS in Engineering
- Manufacturing Industry Experience (12+ Years - Preferably Food/Beverage, Consumer Products, or Similar High-Volume Industries)
- Engineering Leadership Experience (8+ Years Managing Engineering Teams & Direct Reports)
- Expertise in Design for Manufacturing & Lean Manufacturing Methodologies
- Experience Executing Large Capital Projects & Greenfield Plant Builds
- Comprehensive Analytical & Problem Solving Skills
- Strong Planning & Decision Making Capability
- Project Management Certification (Strong Scheduling, Budgeting, & Resourcing Skills)