MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to create a platform for the highest quality materials using Fine Mycelium™, and our vision is to grow the future of materials. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and our relationships with our customers and one another are built on our core values of respect, empowerment, innovation, interconnection and accountability.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender-expansive individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mycoworks is seeking a Senior Fermentation Engineer who will be responsible for implementing our new fermentation lab and developing our fermentation data system for our Fine Mycelium R&D team. The role will require the candidate to use their fermentation technology knowledge to scout and install relevant equipment and maintain the lab operational. The successful candidate will be responsible for the lab readiness and the fermentation data systems and will, as part of the fermentation team, contribute to experimental design, execution, Tech Transfer and collaboration with CROs. The candidate will join the fermentation team and bring expertise in fermentation process development and scale-up. The candidate will work with folks with a variety of expertise within the downstream team and cross-functionally including production, quality, manufacturing as well as with leather product experts.
- Lead the new fermentation lab set-up in the new dedicated space
- Troubleshoot and maintain fermentation equipment
- Manage relationships with vendors
- Scout and implement new equipment and technologies relevant to the fermentation lab
- Develop searchable and robust fermentation data systems to store experimental data
- Develop QC data processes for fermentation data analysis and lead root cause analyses efforts
- Lead internal continuous improvement initiatives to improve workflows and processes
- Contribute to operating fermenters and design experiment with the overall objective to develop a fermentation process using mycelium
- Contribute to Tech Transfer, Scale-up and collaboration with CROs as needed
- Master’s degree in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Biology, or a relevant field with a minimum of five years of relevant experience
- Experience in the biotech industry, ability to work in cross functional teams in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with a wide variety of bench scale fermenters and fermentation lab equipment including offgas analyzers
- Experience directly interacting with vendors
- Experience coding, analyzing complex data systems, and data analysis
- Training in project management is highly desired
- Experience with fungal fermentation is a plus