MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to create a platform for the highest quality materials using Fine Mycelium™, and our vision is to grow the future of materials. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and our relationships with our customers and one another are built on our core values of respect, empowerment, innovation, interconnection and accountability.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender expansive individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking a person to fill the role of Quality Testing Lead for materials testing. They will be responsible for creating, implementing and/or overseeing quality materials testing (intermediate and finished sheet testing) and serve as subject matter expert. They will be responsible for determining and implementing the applicable testing processes based on industry methodology (i.e. ASTM, ISO) for leather and textile testing. The Quality Lead will preferably have work experience in a high volume materials, textiles or leather testing lab. This role supports both Manufacturing and Development teams to sample and test materials, document processes and procedures, support test protocol execution and track results.
The role reports to the Senior Quality Manager and will work collaboratively with both Development and Manufacturing.
FUNCTIONAL EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Supervise junior lab technicians and perform daily hands-on testing of development, intermediate and finished Reishi
- Act as subject matter expert for materials testing
- Support cross-functional partners in test method development, data collection and analysis
- Lead the design of specialized testing methods based on project specifications
- Lead the implementation and validation of new testing procedures
- Manage lab processes, equipment for calibration, cleaning and maintenance
- Bachelor's Degree in textile engineering, textile science, material science or equivalent work experience is preferred
- 5-7 years of previous Lab Analyst, Technician, Lab Associate experience, preferably in materials, textiles, leather or consumer products;
- Senior or leadership experience within lab setting is preferred
- Familiarity with standardized testing procedures from apparel and footwear industry such as ASTM, AATCC, ISO, JIS etc.
- Familiarity with lab systems, instrument management and calibration scheduling
- Work experience in a Lean Labs environment is a plus
- Excellent capability with MS Office / GSuite tools, and data reporting
- Attention to detail and organizational skills are a must in this position
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good laboratory compliance and safety practices are a must
- Physical Demands / Surroundings - The duties of this position may require the incumbent to exert some physical effort (details listed below). Lifting requirements may vary depending on the area and project. Weight is typically no more than 25 pounds. Work environment is dependent upon the area - production areas require full gowning and lab-based areas will require laboratory protocols and dress codes are met
- Ability to lift or move up to 10 lbs frequently above head to below knees
- Ability to lift or move up to 25 lbs regularly
- Must be able to sit or stand to perform work for 2-4 hours at a time and intermittently throughout the shift
- Must be comfortable operating heavy machinery and test equipment
- Use hands to move samples, use tools and controls
- Perform repetitive motion for 2-4 hours at a time and intermittently throughout the shift
- Ability to type and look at computer screens for entire shift
- Manipulate small parts with hands or tweezers daily
- Work may involve repetitive arm and wrist motions
- Will need to stoop, kneel or crouch regularly
- Manipulate sharp cutting tools safely daily
- PPE required at times