MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to create a platform for the highest quality materials using Fine Mycelium™, and our vision is to grow the future of materials. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and our relationships with our customers and one another are built on our core values of respect, empowerment, innovation, interconnection and accountability.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender expansive individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking a person to fill the role of Director of Quality. This person will be responsible for designing and implementing company-wide Quality Testing, Environmental Monitoring, Microbiological and quality data strategies. This includes the following: company-wide quality testing strategies including strategic lab management, quality systems management, methods management, external laboratory contractor management, quality personnel management as well as developing quality managers and staff; company-wide environmental management strategies including strategic planning across multiple sites and countries, testing and assessment, implementation of contractors and suppliers to support as well as developing EM managers and staff; company-wide microbiological strategies including raw materials, in-process materials, finished goods and developing microbiological managers and staff. The person will be expected to design and manage the quality processes across the organization, including external partners as well as working directly with customers to set customer needs, develop in house customer based methods and issue compliance tracking and data analysis. The role will require setting appropriate metrics to track and trend performance to plan.
This role supports all functions of the organization including both commercial and R&D. The role reports to the Chief Manufacturing Officer.
- Define, develop, establish, run, and maintain the Quality functions including: Quality testing, EM, Micro and quality data systems
- Collaborate with the Chief Manufacturing Officer on strategies related to quality, the further expansion of the Quality department and laboratory systems
- Ability to recruit, train, and grow members as needed - including managers, analysts, quality technicians, suppliers and outside capability partners
- Lead the facilitation and coordination of quality suppliers, lab supplies, capital equipment and lab layout and expansion
- Lead the development of lean lab systems implementation including developing a complete lab visualization tool that incorporates downstream partners, current sites and starting materials.
- Participate in the supply chain loss allocation process to set standards for savings and simplification processes across the network
- Lead development of a risk management based approach to standards and systems development,support contracts and agreements and sourcing
- Lead establishment of supplier qualification process and manages and assess vendor’s performance and reports operational metrics (KPIs) to senior management, as well as any regulatory reporting requirements related to production and quality activities
- BS/MS in Quality or quality related fields (Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology)
- 10-15 years’ experience through increasing levels of quality management experience
- Experience across finished product, raw material systems, method development, microbiology and manufacturing based quality with five plus years managing a quality team
- Leads scoping and prioritization of improvement projects and future implementations, participate in the scoping and quoting of projects
- Experience participating in the development of opportunity assessments and loss analysis across the quality function to reduce spend and complexity
- Leads and prioritizes quality based problem solving modeling and related analyses / mathematical modeling of large data sets
- Ability to manage a large multi-functional team across regions
- Experience managing vendor relationships and will coordinating work with others, both internally and externally
- Experience completing and maintain yearly vendor evaluations
- Build and execute strategic quality policies, practices, and systems
- Experience developing laboratory planning models for materials, human resources and complex multi-site quality release systems required
- Experience in vendor oversight and managing external partnerships and relations
- Professional quality certification a plus ASQ, ISO, Six Sigma, Certified Manager of Quality certification
- In-depth knowledge / experience with life science environmental monitoring management a plus
- Manage multiple priorities simultaneously, have a strong drive - results focused
- Strong analytical skills and ability to provide data-based insights and observations
- Detail oriented with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to grow and take on increased scope of responsibility
- Ability to build, train, recruit team members as needed