MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners, and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mycoworks is seeking a Research Assistant to support our Fine Mycelium Research & Development group to develop solid and liquid state fermentations. This position will include the following tasks & responsibilities: Preservations of strains and validation for purity is critical. Troubleshooting and assisting with protocol improvement, and proactively finding ways to increase efficiency and automate processes as applicable. Collaborating with scientists across the Fine Mycelium Research & Development group to execute experiments. Performing laboratory support tasks such as media preparation and supply organization. Prioritizing daily tasks to meet the needs of all team members, and effectively supporting the rest of the research team.
- Fermentation in flask and bench scale for liquid as well as solid state fermentation
- Develop SOP for bench top fermentation processes
- Microbial strain preservation and validation
- Record and analyze data, manage documentation and communicate/present results within and outside the team
- Troubleshoot process parameters and experiments
- Assist in transferring technology from lab to production scale
- The functions described above may not be the only requirements of the position. Other responsibilities may be necessary, as required by MycoWorks team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, bioengineering, biochemistry, or a related field
- Two years experiences in liquid/solid fermentation and strain preservations
- Experience with microscopy and plating
- Exceptional attention to detail, high standards for the quality of their work
- Ability to self-manage and work independently
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, effectively tailored to audiences of different knowledge levels
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to learn new methodologies for changing research priorities
Preferred Areas of Specialization
- Microbial strains preservation for long term
- Prior experience with liquid/solid mycelium fermentation is a plus