Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Coatue, Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
As a Senior Platform Engineer at Mux, you will be a contributor to the design and operation of the infrastructure that powers Mux’s high traffic, distributed platforms. Our Platform Engineering team works cross-functionally to ensure that services are scalable, reliable and easy to consume and operate. We invest in infrastructure, automation and tooling that reduces friction for engineers to develop and manage our products.
We’re looking for a Senior Platform Engineer who will enjoy the fast-paced nature of a startup, and has a strong record of building internal tooling and operating services through partnerships with product engineering teams. If you have a passion for Kubernetes, automation, learning, challenging and bettering your peers, you are a good fit for our team!
What You'll Do
- Participate in the design and deployment of major shared infrastructure components to meet the growing demands of the distributed systems powering our products
- Build tooling and automation to support and increase the accessibility of our platform services augmenting the velocity of our product engineering teams
- Debug production issues across applications and services at all layers of the infrastructure stack
- Partner with engineering teams to build new features at scale while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Champion best practices for availability, reliability, capacity planning, incident management, and production readiness
- Participate in roadmap planning and prioritization
Who You Are
- Experience building and scaling business-critical Kubernetes infrastructure through all phases of the cluster lifecycle
- Strong software engineering skills (experience with Go or multiple languages a bonus)
- Knowledge of engineering fundamentals such as TCP/UDP, HTTP, TLS, DNS, and Linux system administration
- Ability to mature our platforms through abstraction, automation, and iteration to create a seamless user experience for our development teams
- Maintaining healthy, respectful relationships within your team and across organizations
- Building and evolving CI/CD tools and pipelines (Bazel, Terraform on AWS and/or GCP, Argo CD/Workflows/Rollouts)
- Implementing and utilizing infrastructure observability and monitoring tools (Prometheus, Grafana, Elasticsearch, OpenTelemetry)
- Hashicorp Vault and Secrets Management experience
Nice to have:
- Video technology experience (ingest, live-streaming, RTMP routing, content delivery, global networking)
- Event streaming platforms or data pipelines (Apache Kafka)
- Distributed databases (CockroachDB, ClickHouse)
- Experience with ingress and Service Meshes (Envoy, Cilium or similar)
The starting base pay for this role is between $190,000 and $220,000. Actual pay may be dependent upon many factors, such as location, education, experience, skills, and internal equity.
In addition, we offer a variety of benefits to employees that may include merit increases, equity, home office stipends, paid holidays, unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability benefits, and life insurance, among others.
If you don't have all of these requirements but think your experience could be a great fit, that's okay! Please apply and we can talk about what's most needed in the role.
You'd join an amazing team from places like Google/YouTube, Amazon/Twitch, Facebook/Oculus, Brightcove, Bain, and the BBC. We have a supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance.
- Flexible PTO with 2-week minimum + 11 company holidays
- Weekly no-meeting days + quarterly focus weeks
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 60% dependent premium coverage)
- Fertility benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care, and commuter benefits
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Critical illness & accident insurance
- Travel accident insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Medical support concierge service
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Continued education stipend
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVoD services of Mux customers
- Lunch reimbursement program
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.