Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Coatue, Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We’re growing quickly and are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
As a Backend Engineer focusing on distributed systems at Mux, you will build and manage scalable and highly available applications and services that can reliably support the feature development and growing traffic of our products. Both of our existing products: Mux Data and Mux Video, ingest and process a high volume of data with strong latency and availability requirements. You will work on ensuring our platform is resilient, and will also be writing new application code to support product features. We’re looking for engineers that love both systems and application-level challenges across various teams, who will take on strong ownership of critical product infrastructure and enjoy being part of an inclusive and creative Engineering team.
Teams with Distributed Systems Roles at Mux:
Mux Video (Various Teams): Mux Video is an API platform that enables developers to build powerful on-demand and live video experiences at scale. We have several teams with backend roles under this product umbrella: Video Core Product (focused on integrating features that make our API more powerful) and Video Platform (focused on scalable ingest and delivery).
Mux Data: Mux Data is an observability tooling for developers working with video that monitors and aggregates insights for the end-to-end video playback experience. This team builds out the features as well as platform that support this product, e.g. our client-side SDKs, data dashboards, and the backend processing, aggregation, and compute platform.
What You'll Do
- Work with your team to collaborate and execute on the product goals and technical roadmap
- Develop scalable applications and services that power our core Mux Video and Mux Data features, example projects have included:
- Mux Data: Migrating our data platform from Citus to a new data architecture leveraging Clickhouse to enable flexible analytics at scale
- Mux Video: Architecting a highly available scheduler for our high volume of ingest and processing jobs (Video Platform); architecting new multi-region services to enable low latency streaming (Video Core Product)
- Operate, tune, and continuously scale the platform that support growing traffic on these core products
- Technologies you may touch include:
- Code: Golang, gRPC, Edge Compute
- Cloud: Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, Fastly, Cloudflare
- Data: Clickhouse, CockroachDB, Postgres, Kafka
- Orchestration: Kubernetes, Docker, Envoy, Tilt
- Observability: Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, Elasticsearch
Who You Are
- We are hiring mid to staff level engineers.
- You’re a strong engineer comfortable working across multiple platforms and environments.
- Solid engineering fundamentals (CS degree a plus).
- Track record of working on hard problems including job scheduling, concurrency, and scaling.
- Experience with deploying complex applications on cloud platforms using a container orchestration platform, such as Kubernetes.
- Experience with administering high availability data technologies, such as Kafka.
- Fluency in a systems-level programming language (Golang preferred).
- Video experience a plus but not required.
If you don't have all of these requirements but think your experience could be a great fit, that's okay! Please apply and we can talk about what's most needed in the role.
You'd join an amazing team from places like Google/YouTube, Amazon/Twitch, Facebook/Oculus, Brightcove, Bain, and the BBC. We have a supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance.
We are remote-equal, with an office space in Downtown San Francisco and another in London, right next to the Liverpool Station.
- Flexible PTO
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 60% dependent premium coverage)
- Fertility benefits
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Critical illness and accident insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- “Day of Learning” events
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVOD services of Mux customers
- Remote lunch reimbursement 3x/week
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Location: San Francisco or Remote (U.S.)