Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Accel and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We’re growing quickly and are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
As the Director of Design at Mux you'll build the design team, systems, and vision that will help Mux achieve our product vision and scale our product development to new levels of creativity and velocity.
Mux cares deeply about design and we’ve invested in it heavily from the start. As a technical company building a data-heavy product and a developer-friendly video API, design is especially important. Our real-time dashboard was used exclusively to monitor the streaming of the Super Bowl last year and our video API is powering streaming on popular consumer apps like Robinhood and others.
What You'll Do
- Manage a growing team of talented and hard working product designers.
- Collaborate with Mux leadership to determine design direction.
- Mentor designers across experience levels to perform and reach their career goals.
- Work closely with product and engineering management to deliver delightful user experiences.
- Partner with Marketing to maintain brand consistency between our private and public-facing designs.
Who You Are
- 5+ years of product design management experience.
- 10+ years total experience in a design-related role.
- You have experience building design systems and refining design processes to find balance between speed, quality, and creativity.
- You have experience recruiting and building design teams.
- You have experience defining roadmaps with product managers by balancing business strategy with a vision for the user experience.
You'll be joining an amazing team from places like Google/YouTube, Amazon/Twitch, Facebook/Oculus, and Brightcove. We have a supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance.
- Flexible PTO
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- “Day of Learning” events
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVOD services of Mux customers
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Location: San Francisco or Remote (US)